Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondastang

Hi Question can you run 480 volt and 110 volt in the same conduit. I was told you can not. I know you can not run low voltage such as 24, etc
like data, or for instrumentation . I should could use a right answer . Please Thank you

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
as long as all conductor ajckets are rated for the higher voltage, i.e., THHN/THWN-2 is rated at 600 volt --no problem

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And you can often run low voltage wires in the same conduit, as long as the wiring method and components of the LV circuit are not limited power.

rlundsrud

Well, a 24 or 48V DC power distribution network maybe? Not sure about that.
Or a class 1 circuit at any voltage if it is associated with the power wiring.

You can only install the class 1 if it is with associated equipment power wiring as you said. You can't have class 2 or class 3 in the same conduit, even if it is associated.

kwired

Electron manager
You can only install the class 1 if it is with associated equipment power wiring as you said. You can't have class 2 or class 3 in the same conduit, even if it is associated.
Which getting back to OP question of 480 and 120 volt circuit in same raceway - if one of those circuits is a class 1 control circuit (a little rare but 480 V can be used as a control circuit) they can only be together if associated with one another.

RichB

Occupation

You can if you seperate them--llike with tubing as a sleeve or innerduct

But still probably easier ands cheaper to run 2 seperate small raceways

RichB

Occupation
This is the second time in a few days someone has made that suggestion.

I don't believe there is a code compliant way to do this with EMT or RMC etc.

I agree--I should probably have been more clear--like this--

if you can separate them in a conduit, say with some tubing, i.e., inner duct, then it would be acceptable,,, the only outer duct I am aware of for this is RGS, PVC or HDPE, either factory or field assembled.

As Edgar said in "Men in Black"--There, Is this better?:slaphead::dunce::ashamed:

Status
Not open for further replies.