Nfpa 79, splices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking to make sure, according to NFPA 79, section 14.1.2.1 Conductors and cables shall be run from terminal to terminal without splices
or joints. Is this just referring to raceways?
Can you splice in an industrial control panel and tuck the splice in to the plastic wire way, provided no more than 50% fill?
If allowed, should you tag those wires?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's regarding wiring covered under 79. That is, internal wiring or external wiring furnished by the manufactured as part of a multi-part package that gets installed on location, which is not covered by NFPA 70 (NEC).

Field wiring covered under the NEC can be spliced to other such conductors, but not to wiring covered under 79.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
To be clear, this is for an add on to machinery, not original build.

NFPA79 is a voluntary standard. A company can choose to abide by it or not, or it can choose to abide by most or some of it.

However, if you want to claim you comply with it, you can't really ignore parts of it.

And, there are good reasons to follow it rather than trying to come up with something on your own.

I don't know what benefit you would get by hiding splices inside of plastic wire ducts over just adding some terminals.

splices

splices

NFPA79 is a voluntary standard. A company can choose to abide by it or not, or it can choose to abide by most or some of it.

However, if you want to claim you comply with it, you can't really ignore parts of it.

And, there are good reasons to follow it rather than trying to come up with something on your own.

I don't know what benefit you would get by hiding splices inside of plastic wire ducts over just adding some terminals.

I am tying into some existing cables that are not close to a terminal strip, and I cannot lengthen the existing cable. The only option is to splice.
These are analog, 0 to 10v signals

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am tying into some existing cables that are not close to a terminal strip, and I cannot lengthen the existing cable. The only option is to splice.
These are analog, 0 to 10v signals

is there some reason you can't add a terminal strip someplace where the cables happen to be near? you could even add the terminals inside the duct, or on the duct cover if you wanted to.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
is there some reason you can't add a terminal strip someplace where the cables happen to be near? you could even add the terminals inside the duct, or on the duct cover if you wanted to.
Does NFPA 79 define terminal?

I know most think terminal block when discussing 79, but a crimp on thingamajig is a terminal. You may not be able to use a butt splice, but you can bolt two ring terminals together... or better yet, use a pair of knife terminals (and heat shrink, of course... preferably Raychem with the melting inner adhesive sealant and use uninsulated terminals). :D

Terminal_Knife_Disconnect.jpg

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does NFPA 79 define terminal?

I know most think terminal block when discussing 79, but a crimp on thingamajig is a terminal. You may not be able to use a butt splice, but you can bolt two ring terminals together... or better yet, use a pair of knife terminals (and heat shrink, of course... preferably Raychem with the melting inner adhesive sealant and use uninsulated terminals). :D

View attachment 13948

ring tongue terminals are actually connectors since they are listed (sometimes recognized) as connectors by UL.

I have never seen the style of connector you displayed but my guess is that if it is listed or recognized at all it is as a connector and not a terminal.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
ring tongue terminals are actually connectors since they are listed (sometimes recognized) as connectors by UL.

I have never seen the style of connector you displayed but my guess is that if it is listed or recognized at all it is as a connector and not a terminal.
Let's get back to: does NFPA 79 define terminal? ...and in that definition exclude crimp-on terminals (or connectors as terminals).

Then, is a terminal required to be listed, recognized, or something else that would prohibit crimp-on knife disconnects as terminals?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Let's get back to: does NFPA 79 define terminal? ...and in that definition exclude crimp-on terminals (or connectors as terminals).

Then, is a terminal required to be listed, recognized, or something else that would prohibit crimp-on knife disconnects as terminals?

3.3.102 Terminal. A conductive part of a device provided for
electrical connection to circuits external to the device.

Not as much help as one might hope for.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not as much help as one might hope for.
That depends on the help you need... such as bolstering my position on what is considered a terminal. :D

BTW, I couldn't find any listing for this type of knife terminal (aka knife disconnects)... but I did not do an exhaustive search.

Status
Not open for further replies.