NEC Version Implemented By State/Local or Newer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshetter

Occupation
Safety Controls Engineer
My state, Florida, has this past summer implemented the 2011 version of the NEC without any revisions or additions to it. As far as I know, my local jurisdiction has also not made any changes or revisions with their implementation. Therefore, I am subject to the NEC 2011 in its whole without changes.

I am going to order some NEC 2011 code books, but was curious if there was anything legally preventing me from using a newer unimplemented code; ie NEC 2014.

Thanks in advance for the help.

480sparky

Usually, updated rules are more strict. However, sometimes one may get 'relaxed' a bit. So what might be required in the '11 may not be under the '14.

If your AHJ enforces the '11, why the desire to wire to the '14? It may just cost you more money.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you are doing a PV installation you might want to take advantage of the additional flexibility of ampacity rules for backfeed. But the AHJ could then fire back with Rapid Disconnect. :(
In some cases relaxations of one rule in one article only make sense when combined with new restrictions elsewhere in the code.

mgookin

My state, Florida, has this past summer implemented the 2011 version of the NEC without any revisions or additions to it. As far as I know, my local jurisdiction has also not made any changes or revisions with their implementation. Therefore, I am subject to the NEC 2011 in its whole without changes.

I am going to order some NEC 2011 code books, but was curious if there was anything legally preventing me from using a newer unimplemented code; ie NEC 2014.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You can only use what's adopted; nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.