MLO or MCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

Is there a code which states that the remote panelboard fed from a main switch board need to have a MCB in it? I know the cable to the remote panel board are protected by the breaker inside MSB that feeds the remote panelboard.

raider1

Staff member
Provided that the feeder conductors and the panelboard they feed are properly protected by the overcurrent protective device in the main distribution panel, a main circuit breaker is not required in the remote panelboard.

Chris

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Provided that the feeder conductors and the panelboard they feed are properly protected by the overcurrent protective device in the main distribution panel, a main circuit breaker is not required in the remote panelboard.

Chris

Doesnt that depend on if the Remote Panelboard is located within the same structure or not?

JAP>

raider1

Staff member
Doesnt that depend on if the Remote Panelboard is located within the same structure or not?

JAP>

Not necessarily, I can have a remote panelboard in a separate structure and not have to have a main circuit breaker in that panel if there is a disconnecting means for the building in accordance with 225.31, 225.32 and 225.33. I could have a non-fused disconnect located at the point that the feeder enters the building or the panelboard may not have over 6 circuit breakers.

Chris

templdl

Is there a code which states that the remote panelboard fed from a main switch board need to have a MCB in it? I know the cable to the remote panel board are protected by the breaker inside MSB that feeds the remote panelboard.

If it is a matter of meeting the minimum NEC requirements and/or cutting cost that is one thing. But if those are not the issue opt for the small additional cost of a main breaker as it is is always logical to locate the main disco and turn off the power of the panel if there should be an urgent need to do so.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If it is a matter of meeting the minimum NEC requirements and/or cutting cost that is one thing. But if those are not the issue opt for the small additional cost of a main breaker as it is is always logical to locate the main disco and turn off the power of the panel if there should be an urgent need to do so.

That's good advice.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.