Switching 2 heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherelectric

We have 3 4' infrared heaters, 16amp 240 volt. Customer wants to switch 2 together and 1 separately (no t'stats). Cord and plug connected. Would it be compliant to switch the 2 together with 1 DPST 20 amp rated switch, switching one leg of both circuits with one switch?
Would the same apply if they were direct wired?
thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Put the plugs down where he can reach them, and let him plug them in out to his hearts content.

A 4 pole DP contactor would be an easy method with a single pole switch controlling the coil. Recepts on the load sides of the contactor. Then when he calls for a thermostat later, replace the switch.

fisherelectric

Thanks for the response.
Can't move the plugs down.
I did think about using a contactor but wanted to avoid if I could. Was wondering if using a DPST switch for 2 240 circuits would even be compliant. This is on a fancy outdoor screen porch on a brand new McMansion where the client wants to stand outside and smoke. I guess that's worth $3500.00.
Seems to me 2 20amp circuits wouldn't overload the switch as each side is rated for 20amps. If they are c&p connected switching only one leg would appear to be compliant. If they are direct wired switching only one leg might be an issue.

fisherelectric

It wouldn't be. Not sure if that's a code issue either. From a practical stand point I think the contactor is the right way to go. Tried to talk the client into 3 switches, but she insisted that she only wanted 2. For some reason. And the customer is always right.

iwire

Staff member
To further complicate things you will not find a two pole wall switch listed for use with two circuits.

You will need a contactor to control more than one circuit with a single switch. Or maybe some X10 stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.