Dishwasher/Disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

geochurchi

Occupation
Retired electrician
So that being said about loading the circuit to 50% can a motors for a kick space heater be installed on a DW circuit?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good morning guys where is that at in the NEC

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
It only sort of says that in the NEC. If both loads are hardwired and there are no other outlets, the code does not say that.
210.23(A)(2)(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
210.23(A)(2) does not apply if your circuit is dedicated for fastened in appliances

So, if you install a 20A circuit the rating of each appliances CAN exceed 50% as long as their total rating does not exceed 20A.

You can have a 15A dishwasher and a 5A garbage disposer.

Last edited:

mwm1752

Just randomly picked a washing machine -- part of install -- no bueno with disposal in this instance.
Circuit
Individual, properly polarized and grounded 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker or time-delay fuse.
NEC 2014 -
Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know (mechanically) they're fixed in place but are they still considered (by the NEC) fixed in place if they are cord and plug connected ?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I know (mechanically) they're fixed in place but are they still considered (by the NEC) fixed in place if they are cord and plug connected ?

I say yes. Because you can't just pick up the appliance and take it to another room, Like a toaster.

RICK NAPIER

They can only be on the same circuit if the manufacturor does not recommend a dedicated circuit. The only dishwashers I have seen that don't require a dedicated circuit require a 20 amp circuit if it is a shared circuit.

mwm1752

I've considered if the appliance has a specific place for it to set that helps in determining wheter it is fixed or not --

Status
Not open for further replies.