Low Voltage Lighting System NEC Clarification (Under 30 V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tw1156

Good afternoon; we are designing for a low voltage lighting installation for a multi-story building and are working with a low voltage contractor. We are seeking code interpretation on specifically 411.3 (A) where it mentions that "the output circuits of the power supply shall be rated for 25 amps and 30 volts maximum under all load conditions."

If the contractor is submitting a 48V DC power supply for the class two lighting system, wouldn't this exceed the max voltage of 30 volts?

The really odd part comes in when looking at UL 2108 White Book (Low-Voltage Lighting Systems, Power Units, Luminaires, and Fittings) where in the second paragraph mentions "These luminaires, fittings, controls, and sub-assemblies are rated no more than 30 V ac or 60 V dc. Power units have isoloation between primary and secondary, total output no more than 25 A, and each output limited to no more than 30 V ac or 60 V dc.

Essentially, we'd be out of code if we followed NEC interpretation, but within an NRTL requirement if following UL 2108. The 2014 NEC handbook did not offer any additional information on the subject in regards to the ac/dc interpretation of the 30 Volts.

Any additional clarification would be much appreciated.

tw1156

Request Sent to Local Code Offical

Request Sent to Local Code Offical

As I'm thinking this may end up coming down to the local Code Official's interpretation, I have sent in a request for clarification from them. I'll post any reply or answer to the question as this seems like an odd one.

iwire

Staff member
Sorry no one has an answer yet, I have been around these forums a long time and can't recall any questions or topics about 48 VDC lighting.

I hope someone can help us both out.

tw1156

City Response and 2017 NEC Proposal

City Response and 2017 NEC Proposal

The City Code Official responded that currently the NEC 2017 proposal for amendments will be re-written to include 30V ac / 60v DC. (https://www.americanlightingassoc.c...ering-2015/4-0-BerlinOBoyle-NEC-ALA-2015.aspx) Found on Page 48 and 49 of the write up. As the lighting system would be UL listed, it could currently be accepted through the City, despite the language currently shown in the NEC 2014. As this hasn't been adopted, the language may change of course.

Thanks for all who may have done some looking up of their own and Happy Holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.