Local motor disconnect locked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSTBKIM

Is there a NEC reference allowing or not allowing a local motor disconnect to locked in the energized position?
Motors and wiring are protected at the MCC for short circuit and overload. The location of the local motor disconnect is inadequately protected from the public.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there a NEC reference allowing or not allowing a local motor disconnect to locked in the energized position?
Motors and wiring are protected at the MCC for short circuit and overload. The location of the local motor disconnect is inadequately protected from the public.

The disconnect is there as a means of locking it out for servicing. It has no emergency functions at all, even though some people tend to use them that way. I don't believe there is any general prohibition against locking them in the closed position to be found in any standard that likely applies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Very common for waster water and water locations on the west coast. Most POCOs require a disconnect ahead of meter for services over 300V ph to ph.
We lock handle and cover both.
No code violation, as a lock does not require a tool to open, and the locking requirement is for locking off - safety

iwire

Staff member
The disconnect is there as a means of locking it out for servicing. It has no emergency functions at all, even though some people tend to use them that way. I don't believe there is any general prohibition against locking them in the closed position to be found in any standard that likely applies.

I agree with Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.