Contradiction? NEC 517.34(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The base article says that certain items (my interest is in heat supply to "general patient rooms") are permitted to be on the Equipment Branch. The exception then says that heating is not required under certain circumstances. How is that not a contradiction?

I have been asked to give an opinion on whether, on loss of normal utility power, a hospital has to be designed to provide space heating to general patient rooms. My interpretation is that if that requirement exists, it is not the NEC that establishes the requirement. Opinions?

Pharon

I think the intent of this section is that it's mandatory, but optional as to whether it's a delayed/non-delayed connection or manual connection. Here is the commentary from the Handbook on it:

A common practice in some areas is to install individual room
heating/air conditioning rather than to have a central heating/
air-conditioning plant. If these individual units are electrically
powered, applying their high-demand load to the generator may
not be practical. Providing limited heating during emergency
conditions is based on consideration of outside design temperatures.
Delayed connection of the loads listed in this section is
optional, rather than mandatory. Many health care facilities have
generators with sufficient capacity to pick up these loads during
startup.

It is mechanical code that dictates whether or not heating is required, based on minimum design temperatures at the location of the project. If it IS required, then it is permitted to be on the Equipment branch.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also cannot see that the nec is mandating that a heating system be installed. That is a design or governed by others, IMO

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You probably have to look to NFPA 99...The NEC, in general, provides the required electrical installation rules for the actual rules that are found in NFPA 99.

Pharon

I don't think the OP is asking if electric heat in patient rooms is mandatory per NEC. He's asking IF electric heat is in rooms, is it mandatory to have it on the equipment branch, or is it optional?

A reading of the section seems to indicate that if it exists, it is mandatory to be on the EB, but optional as to whether it is delayed or non-delayed.

Personally, I think it should be optional as to whether or not it goes on EB or normal, but I don't believe that's what the section says.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't think the OP is asking if electric heat in patient rooms is mandatory per NEC. He's asking IF electric heat is in rooms, is it mandatory to have it on the equipment branch, or is it optional?

A reading of the section seems to indicate that if it exists, it is mandatory to be on the EB, but optional as to whether it is delayed or non-delayed.

Personally, I think it should be optional as to whether or not it goes on EB or normal, but I don't believe that's what the section says.
As a practical matter, it may depend on the climate whether heating is necessary for life safety or not. In some areas you might actually need A/C to be on the equipment branch.

But I agree, the code does not appear to give that discretion.

kwired

Electron manager

Which is where other codes may kick in making it required instead of optional equipment.

If this heat is the primary heat for the room it very well may be required, if it is supplemental heat it has much better chance of being optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.