Master Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a 400KVA transformer primary side star 3phase 4 wire 480/277 volts secondary side star 3phase 4 wire 240/139.2 volts. Industrial application Lighting and machinery. Question, Is this transformer the right application? How do you ground this transformer? I'm confused because the primary side has a neutral.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Odd voltage but same principles. What voltage is the lighting ?
Ignore the neutral on the 480 side and connect only the 3 phase 480.
On the secondary side you can ground the neutral and follow the rules in 250.30.

JFletcher

Augie, with these voltages, why have a neutral on the secondary side? Is there any standard single phase equipment that runs on 135-140V? 240V single phase loads would run L-L, and 230V 3ph motors on all three. Would there be a step-down transformer to get 120VAC out of this system?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm working on a 400KVA transformer primary side star 3phase 4 wire 480/277 volts secondary side star 3phase 4 wire 240/139.2 volts. Industrial application Lighting and machinery. Question, Is this transformer the right application? How do you ground this transformer? I'm confused because the primary side has a neutral.

Nothing more than a WYE/WYE transformer. Just ignore the X0 connection on the primary. Since the secondary has an X0 it must be grounded just like any other WYE secondary.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the OP chose a wye delta transformer instead because only 240V loads would be used, then he would have to deal with corner grounding instead.
If only 240V loads are needed, then a 416Y/240 secondary (non standard) would allow use of single pole breakers (not slash rated). The proposed 240Y/139 would not allow use of 120/240 rated breakers either.

Augie, with these voltages, why have a neutral on the secondary side? Is there any standard single phase equipment that runs on 135-140V? 240V single phase loads would run L-L, and 230V 3ph motors on all three. Would there be a step-down transformer to get 120VAC out of this system?

I agree a neutral with this configuration would pretty much serve no purpose, however we have to be clear about whether we are talking about using/running the neutral to distribution equipment vs just grounding the wye point and not distributing it.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
The only place I have seen that voltage used is as a drive isolation transformer.
That's the only application I've seen. The mfg specs 240V, 3ph and does not want un-grounded or corner grounded.

But I don't know why the 480Y primary. I've only seen about two of these, both were 480D/240Y.

Matt - If you are not time constrained, call and ask, "Why Wye?" Maybe they ordered/shipped the wrong xfm.

ice

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That's the only application I've seen. The mfg specs 240V, 3ph and does not want un-grounded or corner grounded.

But I don't know why the 480Y primary. I've only seen about two of these, both were 480D/240Y.

Matt - If you are not time constrained, call and ask, "Why Wye?" Maybe they ordered/shipped the wrong xfm.

ice
Yes the ones I have seen were also delta/wye.

Status
Not open for further replies.