Detached garage with - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

I am working on a plan for a "detached" big boy toys garage with work shop, office area, & 3/4 bath (it has a shower). How would you'll classify this structure? It is in an area where there will only be an inspection for the service (probably on a pole away from the garage). 2500 sq. ft. . Would the same rules apply about garage receptacle circuits not feeding any other circuits outside of the garage? Bath receptacle circuit not leaving that room? A bit different than what I am use to. Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
I am working on a plan for a "detached" big boy toys garage with work shop, office area, & 3/4 bath (it has a shower). How would you'll classify this structure? It is in an area where there will only be an inspection for the service (probably on a pole away from the garage). 2500 sq. ft. . Would the same rules apply about garage receptacle circuits not feeding any other circuits outside of the garage? Bath receptacle circuit not leaving that room? A bit different than what I am use to. Thanks.
It is not a dwelling unit, so there are none of the specifics that apply to a dwelling like the mentioned bath receptacle, but very possibly is a dwelling accessory building depending on some details, making it no different then a detached garage. Outdoor receptacles may not be permitted to be on with interior "garage" receptacles, but may be allowed on same circuit as other receptacles if there is other rooms inside the structure.

Now if there are provisions for sleeping, cooking and sanitation - it may be a dwelling unit.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is there a place inside this structure to park a car? If so, then it is a garage. Is it on the same property as a dwelling unit? If that is also a yes, then I don't think the other stuff in the building (work shop, bathroom, etc.) are relevant.

JDB3

Is there a place inside this structure to park a car? If so, then it is a garage. Is it on the same property as a dwelling unit? If that is also a yes, then I don't think the other stuff in the building (work shop, bathroom, etc.) are relevant.

It will have 2 16' x 8' garage doors 1 10' x 10' garage door and 1 4' x 7' roll top door. So yes, definitely places to park, vehicles. From what I am told, there is a 5,000 square foot house on the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.