Mixing branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexie123

Hello

I am working in a building that has multiple services. If I want to mix normal power branch circuit for lighting from two normal supplied services(utility power) in one conduit or lighting strut would this be permitted?

If not what prohibits this?

Would anything change if one of those services is fed from a power source other than utility power?

Thank you

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only problem I can think of would be if one of the supplies was considered "emergency power" in which case 700.10 would limit the areas where the two circuits can be mixed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hello

I am working in a building that has multiple services. If I want to mix normal power branch circuit for lighting from two normal supplied services(utility power) in one conduit or lighting strut would this be permitted?

If not what prohibits this?

Would anything change if one of those services is fed from a power source other than utility power?

Thank you
How does the building have multiple services serving a single occupancy? In general each building or occupancy is only permitted to have one service.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't know any code that says you can't do it, but I don't like mixing conductors from two different services in a common conduit.

dema

Insulation

Insulation

The wiring all has to have insulation rated for the highest voltage. So if you are using 120V and 480V in the same conduit - the 120V wiring has to be 480V rated. And I don't like the idea either. Too easy for someone to think all the conductors are turned off but some aren't.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The wiring all has to have insulation rated for the highest voltage. So if you are using 120V and 480V in the same conduit - the 120V wiring has to be 480V rated. And I don't like the idea either. Too easy for someone to think all the conductors are turned off but some aren't.
It is rare to find conductors for power and lighting circuits installed in conduit that do not have 600 volt insulation.
Don't forget about the branch circuit identification requirements in 210.5(C) and the neutral grouping/identification rules in 200.4(B).

Status
Not open for further replies.