ENT use in Commercial Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I was surprised when looking this morning that Article 362 allows for ENT use in many building types and in most application typical to a regular building (finished / concealed installation).

Other than when there is a project spec limitation, does anyone use ENT (smurf tubing) http://www.carlonsales.com/flexplusblueentnmt.php on purpose to reduce install cost?

Real popular in some regions in concrete high rise construction. Miles of it in slab turning up in walls.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I was surprised when looking this morning that Article 362 allows for ENT use in many building types and in most application typical to a regular building (finished / concealed installation).

Other than when there is a project spec limitation, does anyone use ENT (smurf tubing) http://www.carlonsales.com/flexplusblueentnmt.php on purpose to reduce install cost?

yep. lots of it used around here.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Used quite a bit in our data centers for Cat6 and Fiber runs. Not for any 120V, or higher, runs.

peter d

I rarely see it used around here. Then again, we don't generally have the type of construction that warrants it (poured in place.)

JFletcher

Used a spool or 50 of the 1000' rolls of the stuff myself for v/d/v (hotels). Never seen it for line voltage stuff tho that can be run in it.

We installed it as a "future proofing" to v/d/v cable. The bonus (to us) is that once it's in, you dont have to beat the insulation/drywall guys to get cable in - timetables arent as critical.

I dont know how installing ENT would reduce costs unless it was being installed instead of EMT.

sparkyrick

We use ENT all the time for both LV and power in commercial buildings. My only gripe is it's a pain to work with when it's cold and you need to strap it more frequently than EMT.

JFletcher

We use ENT all the time for both LV and power in commercial buildings. My only gripe is it's a pain to work with when it's cold and you need to strap it more frequently than EMT.

Yeah,it's supposedly good to like 5*F but below 35*, peeling off a section from a spool reveals a microscopic factory crack which propagates, fails under tension, then a long coil comes barreling toward either your face or groin.

Having to secure the stuff parallel to TJIs/trusses every 3' is time-consuming as well.

Learned the hard way early on that the snap-in box fittings are for plastic boxes only. :ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.