Panelboard clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

Please have a look at the attached PDF and let me know if there is a code stating that a panelboard cannot be installed behind the doors of a closet. Do you need to have 36" clearance in this case too? If the door is open, the 36" clearance requirement is met.

thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 1

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As long as the clearance is met with the door open you are fine assuming the panel is not in a clothes closet

Carultch

Please have a look at the attached PDF and let me know if there is a code stating that a panelboard cannot be installed behind the doors of a closet. Do you need to have 36" clearance in this case too? If the door is open, the 36" clearance requirement is met.

thanks!

I'd like to know the answer too.

Common sense tells me that this should be safe, given proper working clearence when the doors are open. However,it is my understanding that the NEC specifies that working space needs to be clear at all times and is not to be used for storage. If the door is in the closed position, could that be interpreted as using this space for storage?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The image posted by the OP is a very common installation.
However,it is my understanding that . . .
Your understanding is not quite right. Specficially,
. . . the NEC specifies that working space needs to be clear at all times. . .
That is not in the code.
. . . and is not to be used for storage.
That is in the code.
If the door is in the closed position, could that be interpreted as using this space for storage?
A door is a permanent part of the building's structure, and is therefore not "storage." Also, if the door is closed, it will not be possible for a person to do any work on the panel. So working clearance is not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.