NEC - Annex G

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERB

I am trying to find out if the AHJ adopted the NEC, including the Annexes. I have an issue related to Annex G in the 2011 NEC related to changes made to a building in 2012. How do you know if the code was adopted, including the annexes? I called the building department and no one seems to have a clue. Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
I am trying to find out if the AHJ adopted the NEC, including the Annexes. I have an issue related to Annex G in the 2011 NEC related to changes made to a building in 2012. How do you know if the code was adopted, including the annexes? I called the building department and no one seems to have a clue. Thanks.

Building department probably means they cover building, plumbing, mechanical etc, and the general staff probably only knows about permits not so much about codes. You need to talk to the department that actually does electrical inspections. 2011-2012 was recent enough you would think they would know if they adopted such annexes. If they can't help you how can you trust they could even correctly inspect new work you do now?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It really doesn't matter. There are no enforceable rules in the Annex.
See the last sentence of 90.3 and the first statement in each of the Annex.

kwired

Electron manager
Did not read first statement of every annex, but first statement in annex H says "This informative annex is informative unless specifically adopted by the local jurisdiction adopting the National Electrical Code®."

Add:

But is starting to look like H is only one that says unless specifically adopted.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But is starting to look like H is only one that says unless specifically adopted.
Annex H is actually article 80 and in the 99 NEC it was the first article, it became an annex in the 2002.

It still needed to be specifically adopted then.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not aware of anyplace that has adopted Annex H. That really amounts to the "enabling legislation" that governs the administration of the electrical code. While the statement in Annex H says:
Informative Annex H is not a part of the requirements of this NFPA document and is included for informational purposes only.
This informative annex is informative unless specifically adopted by the local jurisdiction adopting the National Electrical Code®.
There is no way that a local jurisdiction in Illinois could adopt Annex H as the information that is in there is covered by a state statute

Status
Not open for further replies.