Do Zinsco breakers tend to trip early or late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicker

I have an apartment building that has 100 amp duel pole Zinsco breakers in an electrical room that feed each apartment.

Over the years several of the Zinsco breakers have shown that they have worn out and I have replaced them. I have not had any wear out for several years now.

All of the current Zinsco breakers seem to be operating properly (not getting hot, no arcing noises, and not tripping).

I am considering replacing the Zinsco breakers with the Connecticut Electric UL listed breakers that are a like for like swap designed to replace the Zinsco breakers. This is because I worry that some of the Zinsco breakers are no longer functioning properly and may not trip even though the load is exceeding what they are rated for.

But the replacement breakers are expensive ($75-$100 each) and the swapping out cost would really add up.

I know worn breakers sometimes do not trip when supposed to but I am told it is much more likely that they will trip prematurely rather than not trip. What has been your experience?

Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
I have an apartment building that has 100 amp duel pole Zinsco breakers in an electrical room that feed each apartment.

Over the years several of the Zinsco breakers have shown that they have worn out and I have replaced them. I have not had any wear out for several years now.

All of the current Zinsco breakers seem to be operating properly (not getting hot, no arcing noises, and not tripping).

I am considering replacing the Zinsco breakers with the Connecticut Electric UL listed breakers that are a like for like swap designed to replace the Zinsco breakers. This is because I worry that some of the Zinsco breakers are no longer functioning properly and may not trip even though the load is exceeding what they are rated for.

But the replacement breakers are expensive ($75-$100 each) and the swapping out cost would really add up.

I know worn breakers sometimes do not trip when supposed to but I am told it is much more likely that they will trip prematurely rather than not trip. What has been your experience?

Thanks.
Many will tell you their experience is to replace the entire panel and breakers with something currently being made;)

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I own a fourplex that had Zinsco breakers. I found that the buss was corroding as well as any other problems, and I sleep better w/ a whole new modern panel.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would agree it's pointless to replace old breakers with expensive breakers. A new panel with new breakers probably costs similar installed. The purpose Connecticut breakers, in my opinion, is to add a new circuit or two without incurring the cost of a whole hog replacement.

Flicker

Many will tell you their experience is to replace the entire panel and breakers with something currently being made;)

Obviously, replacing the panels would be the best option but that would be somewhat more expensive, a lot more complicated and would require permits verses 10 minutes to replace breakers.

The bus bars have looked good on the breakers that I have replaced.

How often do you see breakers that don’t trip even when they are overloaded?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Obviously, replacing the panels would be the best option but that would be somewhat more expensive, a lot more complicated and would require permits verses 10 minutes to replace breakers.

The bus bars have looked good on the breakers that I have replaced.

How often do you see breakers that don’t trip even when they are overloaded?

Thanks

You asked for advice and got it.

AFAIK you still have either option available.

How long do you nurse something obsolete and known to have issues along Vs. replacing it with something that you have some confidence in, and or even at least with a warranty?

Unless there is other problems, permit and inspection shouldn't be too much of a burden, unless maybe you are not qualified to do that work. If there is other problems, perhaps it is time to address them anyway.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
when the brakes on your car start giving out, do YOU purchase one pad from the junk yard and replace a pad a at time or do you get both sides done by a professional mechanic with a reliable parts?

Just replace the whole panel and be safe and worry free.

kwired

Electron manager
when the brakes on your car start giving out, do YOU purchase one pad from the junk yard and replace a pad a at time or do you get both sides done by a professional mechanic with a reliable parts?

Just replace the whole panel and be safe and worry free.

One other option: cut holes in floorboard and attempt to stop by putting your feet on the ground:cool:

bullheimer

i would look at the number of breakers. if it adds up to the price of the panel change, then do a panel change. if they don't, cheap out. oh to answer your question since they are famous for not tripping i would have to go with 'late'.

Last edited:

mgookin

Thanks.

The question is "What has been your experience?" with respect to whether a failure would fail-safe or fail-fire.

Lots of well experienced and well qualified respondents said they would change out the whole panel because their experience is that once you get to that point, if you want to be safe, the safe thing to do is change out the whole panel.

I look at it this way - you already asked the question. If there is a fail-fire and you only swapped out some breakers, you'll have a hard time dealing with the fact that you could have made a better decision.

It seems the consensus is that you should change out the panel(s).

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Thanks.

i've seen Zinsco distribution panels that do not use the zinsco saddle breakers that straddle
the bus. i'm assuming that the panels you have are NOT those, that your panels would be
using the chinese knock off breakers commonly available at home desperate.

based on that assumption, i'd replace the panel immediately.

my experience with zinsco breakers is that when they get old, they don't close, don't open,
and sometimes catch fire. they also make crunchy sounds when you try to operate them.

badbanano

Zinsco breakers drink, curse, steel your girlfriend......they do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.