Article 300.4(A) Cables and raceways through wood members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoothcarl

I'm working at a school right now running a lot of EMT. A question arose about how close i could run pipe to the edge of the metal stud. So naturally i turn to NEC hoping for a answer. Art. 300.4(A) is the closest I could get to an answer but I'm still not satisfied beings that the Article is talking specifically about wood members, not steel. I see that is says if distance cannot be maintained cable can be protected by EMT via exception No. 1 which is essentially the same thing as just running EMT in the wall but i still feel like a screw could puncture EMT fairly easy if for example an inexperienced new sheet rocker just didn't know any better. Obviously any idiot could just see the pipe in the wall but I'm talking worst case situation.

bullheimer

i have had job corps student screw thru a half inch emt and short out the wires inside. might not be a code agin it but i would stay with the inch and a quarter rule. what is wrong with just using the holes in the studs anyway? using a punch? aim for the middle.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Run the EMT as close as you want.

With wood studs I have a firm belief that closer to the face of the stud is better because the drywall screws will glance off the EMT when there is only a little bit of wood to support them.

Steel studs, well, my stud puncher sets the hole a 1 1/4" back from the face. Takes all the thinking out of it.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm working at a school right now running a lot of EMT. A question arose about how close i could run pipe to the edge of the metal stud. So naturally i turn to NEC hoping for a answer. Art. 300.4(A) is the closest I could get to an answer but I'm still not satisfied beings that the Article is talking specifically about wood members, not steel. I see that is says if distance cannot be maintained cable can be protected by EMT via exception No. 1 which is essentially the same thing as just running EMT in the wall but i still feel like a screw could puncture EMT fairly easy if for example an inexperienced new sheet rocker just didn't know any better. Obviously any idiot could just see the pipe in the wall but I'm talking worst case situation.

I agree that drywall screws can penetrate EMT. I also agree NEC doesn't require additional protection, but you can still install metal protection plates if you are concerned - no violation there. Also consider that 5/8 drywall and a 1-5/8 screw only penetrates the stud ~ 1 inch when deciding if you think you need extra protection.

Any idiot as well as non idiots can not see the pipe in the wall after it has wall board covering it though.

Smoothcarl

That all pretty much answered my question. I figured its just one of those weird ones that's going to be up to the AHJ in the end but i wasn't sure if 300.4(A) covered it or there was a more specific article. Thanks

iwire

Staff member
That all pretty much answered my question. I figured its just one of those weird ones that's going to be up to the AHJ in the end but i wasn't sure if 300.4(A) covered it or there was a more specific article. Thanks

It is not up to the AHJ it's up to you.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.