Self Contained Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
For a self contained hot tub, 120 Volt, cord connected, is there a requirement that the receptacle be at least 5 feet away from the edge of the tub?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, the outlet must be 6' from the tub. I am assuming this is an outdoor installation so the tub must following the requirements of Part II which is the same for a permanently installed pool.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
OK, so I go to the jobsite, install the circuit and receptacle per Art 680. The hot tub arrives a few days later. The tub ends up being 2' away from the receptacle. Is that my problem?

kwired

Electron manager
OK, so I go to the jobsite, install the circuit and receptacle per Art 680. The hot tub arrives a few days later. The tub ends up being 2' away from the receptacle. Is that my problem?
At very least you should probably warn the owner of what the rules are and maybe have some sort of documentation of that warning.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Don't install the receptacle until the tub is there. No inspection???

mgookin

If that receptacle is under your permit and/ or your license, yes, it is your problem.
Not your fault necessarily, but it is your problem.
Better coordination in the future may prevent this problem from happening again.

JFletcher

If that receptacle is under your permit and/ or your license, yes, it is your problem.
Not your fault necessarily, but it is your problem.
Better coordination in the future may prevent this problem from happening again.

mgookin is correct, however if the GC/prints/HO specced "it is going exactly HERE", which was 6' away, and changed his/her mind, then you've every right to charge to move the receptacle.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The scenario has changed. Now the hot tub is going to be hard wired at 240 volts. I installed a hot tub disconnect with a GFCI breaker and the tub will be 8' away from the disconnect. Now my question is why does Art 680 limit a liquid tight run from the disconnect to the tub to only 6'? What's the big deal if there is an insulated EGC in the liquid tight whip?

kwired

Electron manager
The scenario has changed. Now the hot tub is going to be hard wired at 240 volts. I installed a hot tub disconnect with a GFCI breaker and the tub will be 8' away from the disconnect. Now my question is why does Art 680 limit a liquid tight run from the disconnect to the tub to only 6'? What's the big deal if there is an insulated EGC in the liquid tight whip?
Don't know why they had that 6 foot limitation. 2014 NEC removed it though.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Yes......Now I see in 680.25 (2014) that LFMC is allowed with an insulated EGC without a length restriction. I'm still working off the 2011 but I feel confident that using LFMC between the disconnect and the hot tub will be compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes......Now I see in 680.25 (2014) that LFMC is allowed with an insulated EGC without a length restriction. I'm still working off the 2011 but I feel confident that using LFMC between the disconnect and the hot tub will be compliant.
Actually I never realized there was a 6 foot restriction in the past and am sure I have violated it before.

mgookin

Tell your inspector you're wiring for future code compliance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.