Can Light Sheetrock Mud

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the overspray from sheet rock mud textured ceiling on the inside of recessed can lights?

I only ask because the can lights themselves come with the plastic insert in the socket itself but nothing to protect the housing.

On the last job I went and helped on, the mud inside the can lights was a little excessive and was wondering if it's actually the electricians responsibility to put something over the can lights to keep the mud out or whether it should be the rockers responsibility to put something over the can lights to keep the mud from getting in.

JAP>

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Not sure of responsibility but the drywallers we typically work with will stuff some insulation or paper in the can to help alleviate the mud problem.

Last edited:

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Actually, when you are spraying mud, you need to keep going at a steady rate if you want it to look good, and trying to avoid a can that wasn't covered can make that area look like you didn't do a good job. When I have done it (on my own apartments) I always cover anything I don't want mudded. But then, some of those who do it for a living probably feel they aren't paid to protect someone else's equipment.

mgookin

If you're talking about popcorn that may or may not be the sheetrock crew. It might be the painters. Regardless, effective communication in advance works wonders. Talk to your PM or super about it.

JFletcher

Had the painters nail many of the cans this go around, rendering the labels of lamp type/wattage unreadable. The 5" cans come with cardboard inserts that sort of help, but the 4" ones just come with the plastic socket plug you mention.

The painters/texture guys are going to spray everything. When I did comm work, I'd tape my boxes, mainly to keep wires from springing out and getting caught by the roto-zip, and protect the keystones. Helps when you get a box packed with mud too.

The only option I see is to tape up the inside of the cans before they are installed. If you count on the drywall/paint/texture guys, you will be let down.

John120/240

Not sure of responsibility but the drywallers we typically work with will stuff some insulation or paper in the can to help alleviate the mud problem.

Newspaper works great

I've had them fill receptacle boxes with mud, so I'm pretty sure that when they're spraying that they don't really care.

Sheetrocked over the garage panel They Don't Care

If you're talking about popcorn that may or may not be the sheetrock crew. It might be the painters. Regardless, effective communication in advance works wonders. Talk to your PM or super about it.

Communication is Key. "What we have here is a failure to communicate" Strother Martin/Cool Hand Luke

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So after the fact and texture has been sprayed who's responsibility is it to clean them out? or do they need to be cleaned out?

JAP>

JFletcher

So after the fact and texture has been sprayed who's responsibility is it to clean them out? or do they need to be cleaned out?

JAP>

I'd imagine that if the sticker that lists max wattage and types of lamps is obliterated/covered with paint it's probably a listing violation at that point. That said, no one reads those anyway. Dunno if the inspector would ding you or not.

On rough in, cans are in, ceilings arent painted/textured - gtg. On final, trims and lights are in - paint/labels not visible - gtg. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.