14000 VOLT POWER CONDUCTORS IN A DUCT BANK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a building where a duct bank is running under a new to be built building. The duct bank is existing and I am wondering whether the contractor can building on top the duct bank. Any advise would be welcome

dkidd

Occupation
PE
I am working on a building where a duct bank is running under a new to be built building. The duct bank is existing and I am wondering whether the contractor can building on top the duct bank. Any advise would be welcome

There are serious structural issues to consider as well. I once saw a site where they had built over top of a major telecommunications ductbank, and the bank was getting crushed and disrupting telecommunications to a major part of the campus.

Biggest question is who owns the ductbank and will they allow it to be built over. You can design a foundation that adequately distributes the load such as not to damage the ductbank. IMO, I wouldn't do it. Better to reroute the ductbank or move the new building, whichever is less expensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Seems to me that this is not really an electrical issue. It seems more structural to me and ought to be addressed by whoever is designing the building and not an electrician, electrical contractor, or electrical designer.

Seems to me that this is not really an electrical issue. It seems more structural to me and ought to be addressed by whoever is designing the building and not an electrician, electrical contractor, or electrical designer.
True, but the decision on whether to consider building a building over a duct bank in the first place certainly should have some input from those who own and maintain the circuits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.