Ethernet and RS-485 in Wet Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone,

I am doing my due-diligence in reviewing some conduit and I wanted to make sure that I understood the code properly for wet locations.

Ethernet and RS-485 fall under the requirements for communication cable, correct? As such, there is no requirement for the cables to be rated for wet locations if run in underground conduit. I was reading a previous thread which seemed to conclude with Ethernet (Cat 5e) not requiring wet location rating, though wet location Ethernet exists. I contacted a few vendors and I can't find wet location RS-485 cables.

Am I correct that both of these cables are okay to use in underground conduit?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Good Morning Everyone,

I am doing my due-diligence in reviewing some conduit and I wanted to make sure that I understood the code properly for wet locations.

Ethernet and RS-485 fall under the requirements for communication cable, correct? As such, there is no requirement for the cables to be rated for wet locations if run in underground conduit. I was reading a previous thread which seemed to conclude with Ethernet (Cat 5e) not requiring wet location rating, though wet location Ethernet exists. I contacted a few vendors and I can't find wet location RS-485 cables.

Am I correct that both of these cables are okay to use in underground conduit?

Keep in mind that the purpose of the code is to ensure the public safety with regard to electrical installations. Not too many people are likely to be injured directly as a result of Cat 5E or RS-485 cable failure, disregarding whatever equipment might be attached to the cables. The NEC doesn't actually care if your installation works. That said, Belden makes a whole bunch of different TC cables. Something should work for you.

nhee2

Does the application fall under Article 725? I thought there was a change in 2014 to require 725 cables to be listed for wet locations if installed in wet locations.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Does the application fall under Article 725? I thought there was a change in 2014 to require 725 cables to be listed for wet locations if installed in wet locations.

(L) Corrosive, Damp, or Wet Locations. Class 2 and
Class 3 cables installed in corrosive, damp, or wet locations
shall comply with the applicable requirements in 110.11,
300.5(B), 300.6, 300.9, and 310.10(G).

Status
Not open for further replies.