Conductors in conduit - wet location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector23

Based on 2011 NEC

(I am assuming it is still in '14 and '17, just 2011 is the code cycle in use at the time of this issue.)

Having a senior moment, could use some help.

I know at some point I have read somewhere in Mike's arsenal - (books, this forum, newsletter, etc.) that conductors, even though located inside a conduit, are required to be suitable for wet location if the conduit is installed outdoors or underground. I am searching for the code section with no luck.

Been through the standard stuff - 310.10, table 310.104(A), Articles 320 to 362 for specific types of conduits, but I am not having any luck.

When a conduit is located outdoors or underground, are the conductors inside required to be listed for a wet location?
I believe they are, and I believe I found (with Mike's help) that requirement previously in the code. But I have slept since then, so all memory bets are off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

iwire

Staff member
300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.1 O(C).

inspector23

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Abovegrade. Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade shall comply with 310.1 O(C).

Thank you, Iwire, I appreciate your help. And the fast response. I do appreciate it. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.