Code expectations of sockets and receptacles that reject wrong connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

Cjk5mtq.png

Something that is worse in my opinion but quite commonly done by professionals seems to be offered by even reputable companies. It was very common to see T12 lamps crammed into T8 sockets, because they fit. It works too despite the connection being improper. I think it's reasonably likely and not totally careless for any kind of four foot, medium bi-pin lamps to find their way in the sockets. Direct wiring of 120 or 277v to one end of T8 is a common LED conversion practice. Tombstones are rated 660w 600v. I couldn't tell ya what its meant to say but perhaps the socket is acceptable to feed industrial 347, 480 and 600v power in this manner? I'm pretty sure bad things happen in the time it takes for OCPD to do something if T8 or T12 fluorescent lamp is inserted and shorts across. Why is this generally tolerated?

But not this one..
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=120051
wVMyifd.png

This controversy came up here in the past. This receptacle accepts both 120 and 240v plugs and advertised for this purpose. It allows a normal 120v cordset to deliver 240v to compatible devices or 240v devices to connect into 120v. It's the same concept as travel adapter that lets you plug your computer into a Euro socket or Euro comptuer into a US socket.

The obvious concern is that it 120v devices may get plugged into 240v.
Is it just a matter of labeling it 240v outlet and not to plug in 120v devices?

dBavgbG.png

The arc tube in metal halide can pop as they near end of life. Reason for warning to not leave HIDs on for over a week at a time is that arc tube nearing a rupture is less likely to be able to restart from. Open HID fixtures go farther to protect safety by physically rejecting lamps not rated for open fixtures. Rated lamps have a shield to reduce the risk of bulb breach if the capsule pops and there's a fusible link inside the bulb that melts if the outer bulb is broken. They reasonably expect someone to ignore the warning or mistakenly install an unprotected lamp.

JFletcher

I'd never install one of those double T receptacles (which have no NEMA designation) for new or retro work, and if I found one existing on a 240V circuit, I would replace it with a NEMA 6-15R or 6-20R. The ones without an EGC are more common in my experience. and almost as bad as polarity can be reverse of what an appliance/device with a polarized plug requires.

Electric-Light

I'd never install one of those double T receptacles (which have no NEMA designation) for new or retro work, and if I found one existing on a 240V circuit, I would replace it with a NEMA 6-15R or 6-20R. The ones without an EGC are more common in my experience. and almost as bad as polarity can be reverse of what an appliance/device with a polarized plug requires.

They're not proper at all. It's only marketed for people who wants to run big ballasts in homes and would rather use regular cord set. Still the biggest risk is frying 120v stuff after getting mixed up. Not nearly as bad as LED socket bypass. As buildings change hands and lamps burn out, someone is going to try spare new lamps that were left behind in the utility closet. only to short out 277v right above their eyes while on a ladder. . .

iwire

Staff member
It's only marketed for people who wants to run big ballasts in homes and would rather use regular cord set.

Hold on, I have never seen these 'marketed' to anyone and what big ballasts in a home are you talking about?

Still the biggest risk is frying 120v stuff after getting mixed up. Not nearly as bad as LED socket bypass.

:roll:

Yes, add 'LED' to anything and you have a problem with it. :lol:

As buildings change hands and lamps burn out, someone is going to try spare new lamps that were left behind in the utility closet. only to short out 277v right above their eyes while on a ladder. . .

Yeah that sucks, but nothing to do with the NEC, look at the listing standards.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The double T receptacles are not UL listed and have fake UL markings on them if marked. When I found them being used I pulled them, contacted UL and they had me send them one to start an investigation. The local inspector also got one. I kept one as a memento.

The NEC does not allow receptacles that will accept more than one voltage. 406.3 (F)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
2008 from when I found the receptacles. The inspector at the time pointed me to the article which is labeled "Noninterchangeable Types". It looks like it got moved to 406.4 (F) in 2014.

Ah. Yes. Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
As buildings change hands and lamps burn out, someone is going to try spare new lamps that were left behind in the utility closet. only to short out 277v right above their eyes while on a ladder. . .

I thought that a fluorescent lamp was an open circuit without a high voltage kick or something else to start it? Or is that only from one end to the other?

I never really knew exactly what the internal "circuit" of a fluorescent lamp was.

Electric-Light

Hold on, I have never seen these 'marketed' to anyone and what big ballasts in a home are you talking about?
Search the web for universal 120 240 receptacle and you will see the pattern. I meant big ballasts for 1,000W HPS and MH that are almost used in homes.

Yes, add 'LED' to anything and you have a problem with it. :lol: Yeah that sucks, but nothing to do with the NEC, look at the listing standards.

LED retrofits are the only things that use a tombstone as a receptacle. I see it as violation by intent to use sockets as receptacles when those sockets are intended and traditionally used to provide a current limited power to a lamp within a fixture. Some kits include a fuse or a PTC to limit available current to sockets. Some are just self-ballasted lamp that connects to line voltage on the end and instruction manual telling you to hook up line voltage directly to tombstones.

I'm thinking it hasn't been banned by code yet because there was no reason to suspect feeding bi-pin tombstone with line to feed integral ballast tube shaped lamp.

The suggested use of compliant components sold together can be disallowed use by intent. For example, many LED retrofit kits as well as something like a Leviton lamp socket extension with side 120v receptacle, 3-pin 2 pin adaper, 4-receptacle power strip with 25' cord, pack of cable staples in a ziplock bag with a package insert depicting a DIYer frustrated with GFCI protected receptacle and sold with the item code ELM8GFC.660-W

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Some are just self-ballasted lamp that connects to line voltage on the end and instruction manual telling you to hook up line voltage directly to tombstones. it hasn't been banned by code yet because there was no reason to suspect feeding bi-pin tombstone with line to feed integral ballast tube shaped lamp

Not sure if they still make them, but, there has been 8' strip fixtures in the past that had line voltage going to the tombstone at one end in series with the ballast and served as a disconnect so that when you took the lamp out it killed the power to the ballast.

The actual tip of the fluorescent tube was the actual switch link between one side of the tombstone and the other in series with the ballast.

JAP>

JFletcher

The double T receptacles are not UL listed and have fake UL markings on them if marked. When I found them being used I pulled them, contacted UL and they had me send them one to start an investigation. The local inspector also got one. I kept one as a memento.

The NEC does not allow receptacles that will accept more than one voltage. 406.3 (F)

So a 14-50R cant be wired either 208V (from 2 legs of a 3ph 208V commercial service) or 240V (both legs from a split phase resi service)?

iwire

Staff member
Search the web for universal 120 240 receptacle and you will see the pattern. I meant big ballasts for 1,000W HPS and MH that are almost used in homes.

No, I am not going to search for it, of course if search for them I will find them. But you said they were marketed. I have not seen that

What home, other than a grow house has 1,000 watt HIDs?

You are making stuff up.

LED retrofits are the only things that use a tombstone as a receptacle. I see it as violation by intent to use sockets as receptacles when those sockets are intended and traditionally used to provide a current limited power to a lamp within a fixture. Some kits include a fuse or a PTC to limit available current to sockets. Some are just self-ballasted lamp that connects to line voltage on the end and instruction manual telling you to hook up line voltage directly to tombstones.

You claim it is violation yet the retrofit kits are UL listed.

I'm thinking it hasn't been banned by code yet because there was no reason to suspect feeding bi-pin tombstone with line to feed integral ballast tube shaped lamp.

Again, it's a listing issue not a code issue.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I thought that a fluorescent lamp was an open circuit without a high voltage kick or something else to start it? Or is that only from one end to the other?

I never really knew exactly what the internal "circuit" of a fluorescent lamp was.

It may be dated, but watch this video. I show it to first year students when we're discussing light bulbs.

https://youtu.be/v0ES9TKAf_4

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure if they still make them, but, there has been 8' strip fixtures in the past that had line voltage going to the tombstone at one end in series with the ballast and served as a disconnect so that when you took the lamp out it killed the power to the ballast.

The actual tip of the fluorescent tube was the actual switch link between one side of the tombstone and the other in series with the ballast.

JAP>
They were not banned by listing or by NEC, they are still around though, but original magnetic ballasts were basically banned from further production by the dept of energy, if you have a ballast go bad you likely will replace with an electronic ballast that doesn't use the lampholder as the point of input voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.