Hospital Grade AC used for IG circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
We often use Hospital grade AC in normal offices for IG receptacle circuits, armor for equipment ground the insulated green for the isolated ground.

Is there any problem with this?

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Hospital Grade AC used for IG circuits.

Bob, I do not see any code problems. But I would green with a white or yellow stripe to get someones attention if working on the circuit.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Dereck, the IG receptacle should, or would notify someone of this. In Bob's office scenario (commercial facility) only qualified people should be working on these circuits. IMHO

Roger

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by roger:
Dereck, the IG receptacle should, or would notify someone of this. In Bob's office scenario (commercial facility) only qualified people should be working on these circuits. IMHO

Roger
I've had two customers demand IG receptacles for computer power in homes. Since the IG receptacles have that orange color I never thought additional marking was needed. I used the straight green insulated EGC for the receptacle ground terminal. What hazard do you see this causing. I certainly don't want to leave any booby traps in a customers home.
--
Tom

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Tom, I understand your concern in residential, but even though IG recepts can be any color now, they must still have a green outlined triangle.

This is per NEMA and noted in UL listings.

Now in reality if someone did attach the iso ground to the box or something later, it realy wouldn't hurt anything. (this would be a safer DIYer mistake than the normal)

This concern is along the same lines as the DIYer and multi wire branch circuits.(but not as dangerous) IMO ;)

Roger

[ March 13, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Roger, the IG receptacle should be a dead giveaway, but in industrial and commercial the stripped wire is just easy to identify as it passes through enclosures and panels along the way. It is just my design preference. :)

Tom, an IG receptacle in a home is a waste of money in most circumstances. The reason is most receptacles in a dwelling are already IG. Think about it. It is not run in conduit, probable NM and a plastic box mounted on wood framing. If a homeowner request an IG, I would suggest a plain old dedicated circuit, assuming NM is going to be used without conduit or some metallic raceway. Just a thought. :cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Roger,
The triangle is required to be orange by 406.2(D).
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.