Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

250.114 requires egc on certain appliances. If an older house has a 2 wire system can installation of a gfci protected receptacle meet this requirement as allowed by 406.4(D)(2)?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The two are not related. Satisfying 250.114 is the job of the manufacturer. The company that makes the fridge is responsible for connecting the exterior metal parts to the EGC in the power cord. Whether that power cord has an EGC available in the receptacle into which it is inserted is addressed in 406. Replacing a 2-wire receptacle with a GFCI that is marked "no equipment ground" is allowed, but that is not what will bring the installation into compliance with 250.114.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
The two are not related. Satisfying 250.114 is the job of the manufacturer. The company that makes the fridge is responsible for connecting the exterior metal parts to the EGC in the power cord. Whether that power cord has an EGC available in the receptacle into which it is inserted is addressed in 406. Replacing a 2-wire receptacle with a GFCI that is marked "no equipment ground" is allowed, but that is not what will bring the installation into compliance with 250.114.
Well Stated.

wyboy

So, what I am hearing is 250.114 requires egc on appliance cords. If an older house has a 2 wire system and the receptacle is gfci protected then it is not a violation to plug in the appliance with a 3 wire cord into the ungrounded, gfci protected receptacle?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So, what I am hearing is 250.114 requires egc on appliance cords. If an older house has a 2 wire system and the receptacle is gfci protected then it is not a violation to plug in the appliance with a 3 wire cord into the ungrounded, gfci protected receptacle?

Consensus opinion is that if the appliance instructions require a grounded receptacle (or outlet) then it may be perfectly fine to install a GFCI receptacle without EGC but that you are not allowed to plug that appliance into it.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Consensus opinion is that if the appliance instructions require a grounded receptacle (or outlet) then it may be perfectly fine to install a GFCI receptacle without EGC but that you are not allowed to plug that appliance into it.
Please allow me to disagree with that (alleged) consensus. I don't believe the NEC can control what a home owner can, or cannot, plug into any given outlet. Your average homeowner is very unlikely to be aware that the NEC exists at all, let alone that it has a rule requiring compliance with manufacturers' instructions. And of the HO pays an electrician to replace a 2-wire receptacle with an ungrounded GFCI, the electrician is by no means obligated to educate the HO on such a code requirement. I recognize that the question of whether the NEC applies to the occupant of the building, or only to the person performing the installation work, is subject to debate. I don't intend to turn this thread into a repeat of that debate. So I will simply repeat that I disagree with the consensus, and would even call into question whether that is, in fact, the consensus opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.