No announcement yet.

Paddle Fan Switch Location Rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In some instances "unit switches" are permitted to be the code required disconnecting means. In those cases there is still voltage within the appliance even though you have opened the switch.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
      In some instances "unit switches" are permitted to be the code required disconnecting means. In those cases there is still voltage within the appliance even though you have opened the switch.
      Yes, through 422.31 Exception which requires compliance with 422.34. As you said earlier, this would require a marked off position.
      I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart $ View Post
        We're getting into maintenance issues which aren't really covered by the NEC, but you are talking about the disconnect itself, not the equipment it is disconnecting. The fuses are an integral part of the disconnect, not the equipment being affected by the disconnect. All the same, as long as you have the disconnect's cover open while it's line side is energized, you have to don the proper PPE for energized work.
        I agree with you but we're talking about two different things, you're mentioning live work and PPE. I stated that for an NEC required disconnecting means the entire piece of equipment does not need to be de-energized, as Kwired mentioned an integral unit switch would satisfy the NEC disconnecting means requirement.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
          I agree with you but we're talking about two different things, you're mentioning live work and PPE. I stated that for an NEC required disconnecting means the entire piece of equipment does not need to be de-energized, as Kwired mentioned an integral unit switch would satisfy the NEC disconnecting means requirement.
          And also as mentioned, the unit switch must have a marked off position. I've never seen or heard of a paddle fan that does.

Comment

And also as mentioned, the unit switch must have a marked off position. I've never seen or heard of a paddle fan that does.
            But at same time nearly all paddle fans fall into that less then 300 VA or 1/8 hp that don't require a disconnect at the motor/appliance location.

Comment

But at same time nearly all paddle fans fall into that less then 300 VA or 1/8 hp that don't require a disconnect at the motor/appliance location.
              Ultimately, provided the fan is not more than 1/8HP, which is likely the case, no switch is even required let alone where one would have to be located.

Comment

Ultimately, provided the fan is not more than 1/8HP, which is likely the case, no switch is even required let alone where one would have to be located.
                I've been trying to say that since post 14.(nobody ever uses the hug emoji)

Comment

Since the OP seems to be "MIA" I'm going out on a limb and saying it's not a "paddle" or ceiling fan. Since he said "like what you see in most bathrooms" I'm going with bath exhaust fan. I think he meant for the term "paddle" to go with "switch". I may have seen one ceiling/paddle fan in a bathroom but it's certainly not common.

Either way, the switch isn't required to be in the same room.
                  If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Comment

...(nobody ever uses the hug emoji)
                    So you consider yourself a nobody! I would have never guessed. I always pictured you as one with an overabundance of self-esteem.

Comment

Working...
                    X