Paddle Fan Switch Location Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaEE

The contractor that is building my home is arguing with me about the location of the paddle fan switch. This fan is one you would typically see in a bathroom. You would think they would have put the switch inside the bathroom, but they put it in the living room. Granted, all you have to do is stick your hand outside the bathroom to turn the fan on. Bathroom is adjacent to the living room. It's just stupid. The switch for the bathroom light is in the bathroom. My guess is they wired it to the wrong switch accidentally and didn't notice.

I was wondering if there was something in the code that would state a requirement to have the paddle fan switch located in the same room the fan is in.

P.S. I purchased the house on inventory, it isn't a custom build home. I don't really have a leg to stand on unless I can prove it doesn't meet code.

:rant::happysad::eek:hmy::slaphead:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are essentially no requirements on where the light switch goes, exception for stairway lighting. A light switch does not have to be in the same room, and can be 7 feet from the floor.
There is a restriction on paddle fans in bathrooms, they can't be above a tub or shower.
Its common still to see the bathroom light switch outside the bathroom.

MAC702

Agreed. Very odd (I'd consider it poor workmanship) to have the fan and light switched from opposite ends of the wall, but no prohibition on it that I can recall.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..I don't really have a leg to stand on unless I can prove it doesn't meet code.

Unless Texas energy code requires a vacancy switch in bathrooms, like CA Title-24 energy codes, paying for the change order may be unavoidable.

tw1156

Texas does not require Vacancy/Occupancy sensors for Residential single dwelling.

Edit: Depending on where you're located though, Texas has adopted the 2017 NEC.

Under the 2017 NEC 422.31 (Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances):

(A): Rated at Not over 300 VA or 1/8 HP: For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300VA or 1/8HP, the branch circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25.

The bold section is new, and if you agree that a paddle-fan is an appliance, and you cannot see the switch as it's on the other side of the wall, you may have a leg to stand on.

Last edited:

retirede

If I recall correctly, in some countries the bathroom light switch(es) must be located outside the bathroom.
Not really helpful to the OP, but perhaps an interesting anecdote.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The contractor that is building my home is arguing with me about the location of the paddle fan switch. This fan is one you would typically see in a bathroom. You would think they would have put the switch inside the bathroom, but they put it in the living room. Granted, all you have to do is stick your hand outside the bathroom to turn the fan on. Bathroom is adjacent to the living room. It's just stupid. The switch for the bathroom light is in the bathroom. My guess is they wired it to the wrong switch accidentally and didn't notice.

I was wondering if there was something in the code that would state a requirement to have the paddle fan switch located in the same room the fan is in.

P.S. I purchased the house on inventory, it isn't a custom build home. I don't really have a leg to stand on unless I can prove it doesn't meet code.

:rant::happysad::eek:hmy::slaphead:

You typically don't see a paddle fan in the bathroom but do see exhaust fan. Regardless what you have, you do have a leg to stand on, don't pay him. Even though it is not NEC violation to have the switch outside but it is a violation of common sense.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Unless Texas energy code requires a vacancy switch in bathrooms, like CA Title-24 energy codes, paying for the change order may be unavoidable.

CA vacancy sensor applies to bathroom incandescent fixtures only, am I not correct?

ramsy

Occupation
CA vacancy sensor applies to bathroom incandescent fixtures only, am I not correct?

You can see for yourself, at least one bath light switch shall be controlled by an occupancy sensor.
"2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standard"

New construction is not part of my service business, but replacements are, and making sense of the new JA8 light bulb is tricky with California's "2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standard"

How are we to re-lamp when JA8 is not marked on any bulb, packaging, and apparently not sold in any stores?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can see for yourself, at least one bath light switch shall be controlled by an occupancy sensor.
"2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standard"

New construction is not part of my service business, but replacements are, and making sense of the new JA8 light bulb is tricky with California's "2016 Building Energy Efficiency Standard"

How are we to re-lamp when JA8 is not marked on any bulb, packaging, and apparently not sold in any stores?

They are available but from limited manufactures. MaxLite is probably the most common. As far as I know Cree, GE and Philips still don't manufacture JA8 lamps and probably never will as long as HD, Lowes and OSH still stock non compliant lamps in their California stores.

For years I have felt the energy code need to control retailers instead of putting all the pressure on the EC or GC. The energy code should prohibit in-state retailers for selling non compliant products.

jumper

Doesn't apply here and most do not know the Code by heart. You should have at least stated what this section is about rather making interested parties go searching their Code sources.... :thumbsdown:

Er, my post was in reference to Tom Baker saying this:

There are essentially no requirements on where the light switch goes, exception for stairway lighting.

The section I posted dictates another place when the switch location is mandated.

kwired

Electron manager
Wall switch is not even required for said fan, let alone where you might place it if you install one.

Put the switch in the garage if you want, probably not the most desirable location to users though.

Some locations it can't be be placed, like within tub/shower zone.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I remember a custom home owner who wanted his living room switches inside a closet. I said it would be no problem. You would have thought I declared Billy Graham was an atheist to a room full of Baptists the way the contractor and designer freaked out. The owner got his switches where he wanted them anyway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Er, my post was in reference to Tom Baker saying this:

There are essentially no requirements on where the light switch goes, exception for stairway lighting.

The section I posted dictates another place when the switch location is mandated.
I know that... but replying in reference to his post with just a section number does not exclude that section from being related to this topic. As much as I remember Code, I cannot relate each and every concept with its exact section number, especially the infrequently discussed ones. Even I had to look it up to know the section you cited was not related to this post. Yes, there are times when I cite just a section, but as best I can recall, only when it is directly related to and answers the posted topic.

jumper

I know that... but replying in reference to his post with just a section number does not exclude that section from being related to this topic. As much as I remember Code, I cannot relate each and every concept with its exact section number, especially the infrequently discussed ones. Even I had to look it up to know the section you cited was not related to this post. Yes, there are times when I cite just a section, but as best I can recall, only when it is directly related to and answers the posted topic.

Okay, I accept that.

ramsy

Occupation
They are available but from limited manufactures. MaxLite is probably the most common. As far as I know Cree, GE and Philips still don't manufacture JA8 lamps and probably never will as long as HD, Lowes and OSH still stock non compliant lamps in their California stores.

For years I have felt the energy code need to control retailers instead of putting all the pressure on the EC or GC. The energy code should prohibit in-state retailers for selling non compliant products.

Excellent information, Thanks Curt.

Status
Not open for further replies.