480V in Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castrovinci

Hi,
I have a situation where I need to do a long run for a PV system in residential. I was thinking of going with a transformer (and yes I know it will be expensive but way less then other options) from 120 to 480 then bringing it back down to 120 for voltage drop and I need to use an existing pipe that is only 2"

My question is......Are there any codes that prohibit 480 in a residence (besides the 277V Lighting code)?

user 100

My question is......Are there any codes that prohibit 480 in a residence (besides the 277V Lighting code)?

In your situation, No. There are branch ckt limitations in 210.6, but those are irrelevant here.

IIRC the limit in your case is 600v- see 690.7.

Hi,
I have a situation where I need to do a long run for a PV system in residential. I was thinking of going with a transformer (and yes I know it will be expensive but way less then other options) from 120 to 480 then bringing it back down to 120 for voltage drop and I need to use an existing pipe that is only 2"

Why not just bring the dc strings back, they are already up around 480 anyway, and skip the tranny?. Better yet, use a fronius primo inverter that does 1kv strings. With 1 kv, you just couldn't have the inverter inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.