Status
Not open for further replies.

docj67

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Hello veterans!

Appreciate this forum so much.

I'm auditing a job against 230-70-75

I have a building with old disconnects that are candidates for replacement
Each one is a dual two pole 50 feeding two subpanels in it's corresponding dwelling unit.
Each one's two two pole 50's are not handle tied so it takes two hands to execute a simulatneous disconnect of all ungrounded conductors.

My understanding of 230.72 A is now a tad confused. It seems as if 6 simultaneously throwable breakers is the biggest qualifiable config for a main disconnect and that any more then one two pole breaker ( which is what constitutes 95% of what I have seen in the field either as off main row main bus disconnect or backfed to bus main disconnect ) must be tied together. Or are you allowed 6 motions of the hand meaning a maximum of 6 breakers that can each be thrown with one move of the hand. Thanks.

Also having never read detail on the requirements for "disconnection means for the grounded conductor" until recently, I'd like to check that my interpretation of 230.75 is such that as long as neutral bar is a standard screw held system you are good bc i never seen a neutral fed thru a disconnect except for maybe once or twice with three phase....

My old place had 3 units each with a "main disconnect" that you could not disconnect all circuits with two hands. I assume this does not qualify at all as a main disconnect--they were in fact small fed pacific panels dating to the late 40's. My ex landlord has since cleaned it up part of it...

I'm grateful to be able to have this forum because is the part of the work of an electrician I enjoy the most and will continue to attempt to develop a specialty in. This question is also generated by the same building that I worked on recently that necessitated me delving into the world of grounding and an earlier post here..in different sub forum.

Thx so much.

Last edited:

jumper

All six breakers need not be disconnected with one throw, it is six throws for six breakers/switches. 2 pole, 3 pole, and handled tied breakers are counted as one for this application.

Service neutral need not be switched, but terminated as you stated in service disco. Neutrals in other than service discos can feed through.

docj67

dis

dis

yah confused bc in school several yrs ago NEC instructor said maximum of 6 disconnects/services

but what about the 10 unit bldg then?

no rush on reply D, all good.

thc

docj67

yah confused bc in school several yrs ago NEC instructor said maximum of 6 disconnects/services

but what about the 10 unit bldg then?

no rush on reply D, all good.

thc

I reread 230.71 A

I got it

My reply to your first answer mixed number of DISCONNECTS with NUMBER OF SERVICES. I get it now. Number of services irrelevant to my original inquiry. Thx so much

kwired

Electron manager
You can have up to six disconnecting means per service allowed. General rule is only one service allowed, but there are situations that allow for more then one.

Building with 10 occupancies/10 meters? Might need one to six service disconnecting means ahead of some or all the meters. Also possible for 230.2(B)(1) to apply and allow individual service to be run to each occupancy - often they want 2 hour fire rating between each occupancy and essentially consider them all to be separate buildings for various codes reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.