Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hot tub disconnect

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    hot tub disconnect

    The code 680.12 states disco needs to be within sight.
    So does this mean that there is no reception an you cannot use a lockout device if not insight

    #2
    Originally posted by flatlander View Post
    The code 680.12 states disco needs to be within sight.
    So does this mean that there is no reception an you cannot use a lockout device if not insight
    There seems to always be a reception around hot tubs

    If you meant exception - you are correct.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry.
      So I am correct that you cannot use a breaker lock out device like with over equipment like regular old motors.

      Comment


        #4
        I guess I always assumed the "in sight" rules were for finding the disconnect in an emergency, not for maintaining visual sight of it while working on the equipment. I know from experience that this does not work anyway.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by flatlander View Post
          Sorry.
          So I am correct that you cannot use a breaker lock out device like with over equipment like regular old motors.
          Regular old motors require disconnecting means within sight also. Used to be able to use a locking device on remote disconnect but that rule changed maybe 10 years ago, and has only limited cases where you can still do that.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

          Comment


            #6
            Ok
            Thank you.

            I wonder why my fellow electricians think othereise.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by flatlander View Post
              Ok
              Thank you.

              I wonder why my fellow electricians think othereise.
              They never learned of the change in about 2005 or 2008 NEC.

              Motor needs disconnecting means, motor controller needs disconnecting means. Both must be within sight, but used to be able to use locking attachment on the controller in lieu of a disconnect withing sight of motor. Now there is only very limited cases where you can do it that way.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

              Comment

              Working...
              X