NEC 250.122 Sizing PE and Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilf

Hi,

I am lost here in the pool of definitions. Now this may come across as a silly question however please help me clarify my mind as I have absolutely confused myself as I read more about this topic.

Now, the problem is that I have this project where I may have designed the PE cables with wrong sizes because I may have understood the standard wrong.

So firstly what I'm trying to find if I have sized correctly (as in by PE conductor) is the earth cable (or conductor) that we run along with the live conductors. As in 3 phase + neutral + ground. To be more specific, for example I have panel LP-1 that is fed from MDP. I run a 4x25mm2 multicore cable and a 16mm2 ground from MDP to LP-1 for feeder cable. (This is what I have been referring to as PE, please correct me if the terminology I use is wrong as I believe this is the main problem. I live in Europe by the way)

Now I look at NFPA 70 Definitions section, and these are the definitions I come accross;

Grounding Conductor, Equipment (EGC). The conductive path installed to connect normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment together and to the system grounded conductor or to the grounding electrode conductor,or both.

It also states in the NFPA handbook that "This definition was revised for the 2008 Code to point out that the equipment grounding conductor is the entire conductive path back to the grounded conductor, or to the grounding electrode conductor or both conductors. FPN No. 1 points out that equipment grounding conductors also serve as bonding conductors. Proper sizing of equipment grounding conductors is found in 250.122 and Table 250.122.

So what I did was that I went and had a look at Table 250.122 and sized the ground that runs with the hot and neutral of the circuit (this is what I will refer to this as from here on as I may have been referring to ground wrong in order to avoid further confusion) based on this table.

This is how the calculation goes:

I determined the loads in amps. Selected a circuit breaker based on load with additional spare capacity as required. Then I refer to this table 250.122. So for example if the breaker 15A I determine from the table that I should use 14awg ground in that circuit. Now where this gets more confusing for me is that for 40A breaker the ground size 10Awg and it is the same for 60A.

Am I doing this correctly? Or have I completely messed it up?

jumper

Your PE, protective earth, is just called an EGC, equipment grounding conductor, here.

Same thing.

Yes you are reading the chart correctly.

The PE/EGC is sized according to the table based on the size/rating of the OCPD(breaker/fuse).

All general circuits sized above 20A and up to 60A will require a #10 CU EGC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We do not have PE cables in the NEC.

We have EGCs, or equipment grounding conductors. They are indeed sized in accordance with table 250.122. In some cases they are required to be increased in size but for the most part this is the table that is used.

However, EGcs do not have to be wires. They can be metal conduit, emt, or metallic cable trays as well. Non-wire type EGCs are not sized according to this table. It is assumed that if the cable tray or conduit is sized properly that it will function correctly as an EGC. In most cases it is a better fault path than a wire sized to table 250.122.

Gilf

Excellent! So I did understand it correctly.

I think why everyone here is confused that we nearly always size the ground as half of the phase conductors. But when the ground is sized as per NFPA 250.122 we end up with much smaller ground than what everyone is used to.

jumper

Okay, now that that is cleared up.....

Let's argue whether you are actually in Europe or not.:D

Ankara is located to the East of the Bosporus, so many say you are technically in Asia.

Yes, I am a complete nerd/dork/geek and ponder these things.:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Excellent! So I did understand it correctly.

I think why everyone here is confused that we nearly always size the ground as half of the phase conductors. But when the ground is sized as per NFPA 250.122 we end up with much smaller ground than what everyone is used to.

it only needs to be large enough to clear a fault.

Gilf

Okay, now that that is cleared up.....

Let's argue whether you are actually in Europe or not.:D

Ankara is located to the East of the Bosporus, so many say you are technically in Asia.

Yes, I am a complete nerd/dork/geek and ponder these things.:)

Haha :) I also never consider the country to be Europe neither geographically nor culturally:) it’s just that they adapt European standards. Given that i’m Australian, the project will be in Iran but designed to NEC :D

Status
Not open for further replies.