Relocating SEC's from meter lugs to new main panel: materials and neutral splice:Calf

Status
Not open for further replies.

docj67

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Hey all,

I have two little questions:

1) Does anyone know off hand if pg&e prohibits PVC from meter socket to new main panel/disconnect? Greenbook says no plastic at weatherhead/periscope.

2) Also, does anyone know if the neutral can be spliced / retapped in the meter can? If I'm lucky it will reach to the new panel but I need to be prepared to run new wire from meter can for both phases and the neutral.

Is this clear?

Thx!

Humble_hank

jumper

1. Hopefully PG&E allows PVC between meter can and first disconnecting means, best method IMO. No parallel neutral current path that a metallic nipple creates.

2. I do not really understand what you mean. Why are trying to splice in a meter base? Retapped???

FWIW, POCOs generally disallow anything out of the norm in a meter.

docj67

reply: meter run q's

reply: meter run q's

i had originally thought i would leave existing
meter and simply replace current disconnect which is quite a sketchy item;
in a cubby under meter. It occured
though to me that while the two phase wires might be long enough , there was a chance that if they were not i might have to replace them from meter lugs. By that thinking I realized that if they were too short, likely neutral would be as well. I was seeking to avoid repulling new neutral from weather head in that scenario, hence could i splice new neutral in meter can.

However,
I'm leaning now towards doing new meter and main disconnect
combination. It
will be a lot easier. Going to site today to measure then to parts store.

Thx!

1. Hopefully PG&E allows PVC between meter can and first disconnecting means, best method IMO. No parallel neutral current path that a metallic nipple creates.

2. I do not really understand what you mean. Why are trying to splice in a meter base? Retapped???

FWIW, POCOs generally disallow anything out of the norm in a meter.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can't speak for PG&E policy but the meter sockets in use in our areas are designed to accept "line and load" neutral termination on the built-in lug,.

docj67

thx: only seen one meter socket so far...

thx: only seen one meter socket so far...

and neutral was fed from quad tap. was 4 plex building in other post on grounding.

service equipment was gutter w 4 meters and 4 disconnects. each meter had neutral fed behind lugs down into nipple to disconnect w two phases from lugs.

i'm new.
sometimes i wonder how i got here.

js

docj67

I like all that

My point is that when u said "easy" , im in the bay,
blah blah, it became clear i had been misinterpreted in my response.

I would welcome a smart aleck
comment. Ill work on being clearer

Hard humor will get one’s post deleted here.:)

Dry British or American slapstick is more my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.