Transformer "Secondary" OCPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlaineXD

This seems like a simple/stupid question that I can't find the answer to. Maybe you all can help.

When secondary overcurrent protection devices are mentioned in Table 450.3(B), what counts as secondary OCPD? Does this have to be a stand-alone device (some separately mounted panel with a fuse or circuit breaker) or would an MCB for a downstream panel (switchboard, panelboard, etc) be adequate?

Can you all point me to a definition or a qualifier somewhere within the NEC?

Thanks for all your help,
--Nate K.
(Baltimore, MD)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This seems like a simple/stupid question that I can't find the answer to. Maybe you all can help.

When secondary overcurrent protection devices are mentioned in Table 450.3(B), what counts as secondary OCPD? Does this have to be a stand-alone device (some separately mounted panel with a fuse or circuit breaker) or would an MCB for a downstream panel (switchboard, panelboard, etc) be adequate?

Can you all point me to a definition or a qualifier somewhere within the NEC?

Thanks for all your help,
--Nate K.
(Baltimore, MD)

it can be separate or part of a panel board.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Certainly true but I think the OP needs to know that there is more to this than Article 450. OP, see 240.21(C) for transformer secondary conductors.

It is true that both the transformer secondary and the transformer secondary conductors have to have protection. it can be the same device.

Status
Not open for further replies.