NEC Voltage Drop Calcs & Power Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEC Voltage Drop Calcs & Power Factor

Been putting together a voltage drop calculation spreadsheet based on the NEC tables and noticed something surprising. I though that the voltage drop in a circuit would always increase with decreasing power factor. That tends to be the case with larger wire sizes (3/0 and above) but is definitely not the case with smaller wires. These calculations were based on Chapter 9 Table 9, I could show my work if you want but taking the following parameters, the voltage drop is worst with unity pF:

A=50A
    wire size=8awg
    length=50
    voltage=120
    phase=1

Here are the percent voltage drops I got starting with pf=1, then .9, .8, .7, .6 ,......,.2

pf=1 - 3.24%
    3.04%
    2.76%
    2.47%
    2.17%
    1.86%
    1.55%
    1.23%
    pf=0.2 - 0.92%

This happens for all the wires up to 2/0. What gives? Is it just due to the impedances of smaller wires?

Originally posted by shespuzzling View Post
    ..I though that the voltage drop in a circuit would always increase with decreasing power factor..
    My Tbl-9 calculator followed your results also - for purely resistive loads only. Very interesting, perhaps the engineers can explain this?

However, for inductive-motor loads adjusted per NEC 220.18(A), both Current and Voltage Drop increase with decreasing Power Factor, inversely proportional, as expected.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Comment

any thoughts?

Comment

Ask Ingenieur to join this discussion.
        Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Comment

Working...
        X