Number of Splicing allowed by NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaledhn

As per NEC article 110.10(B) , splicing of cable is allowed. however , i cannot find a reference for maximum or minimum splices allowed by NEC . I have a cable 3C x 240 MM2 to be spliced twice ( total length is 800 meter ) . is it acceptable to NEC to splice low voltage cable underground more than one splice . I am using identified splice kit for LV and underground .

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
What cable is that?
What is low voltage 4160v, 120volt , 12v?
Your in Saudi do they follow NEC or are you on base?
Question answer is splice away, but is better to do non splice when possible.

Khaledhn

For information ,

Cable should be spliced due to standard size reels with full length cables of manufacturer ( 350 meter ) .

Cable Description : Power cable , 3 Conductors, 240 MM2 ( 500kmcil) , 600/1000V , XLPE/SWA/PVC .
Low Voltage : 480V
MAX LOAD : 29.6 KVA
Nb. Phases : three .

To Mr. Sameguy , NEC and IEC standards are applicable in Saudi Arabia .

Thanks for everyone's reply .

beanland

How many is too many

How many is too many

A typical electrical installation has 100's of splices/connections in series and we do this every day. Every time we terminate a wire, we add a "splice." Think of a daisy-chain of receptacles: the hot leg has two splices, the neutral has two, so each receptacle adds 4 splices to the current path. So, with 10 receptacles on a circuit, there are 40 "splices" in the current path. Add the breaker and neutral terminals at the panel, the main breaker connections, the service wire connections. Sometimes it is amazing that it even works!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
For information ,

Cable should be spliced due to standard size reels with full length cables of manufacturer ( 350 meter ) .

Cable Description : Power cable , 3 Conductors, 240 MM2 ( 500kmcil) , 600/1000V , XLPE/SWA/PVC .
Low Voltage : 480V
MAX LOAD : 29.6 KVA
Nb. Phases : three .

To Mr. Sameguy , NEC and IEC standards are applicable in Saudi Arabia .

Thanks for everyone's reply .

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.