Max fuse statement and HACR breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If it only specifies using a fuse, then a fuse must be used. If it specifies fuse or breaker, then you would want to use a HACR rated breaker.
The reason is, when getting a Short Circuit Current Rating (SCCR) for a piece of equipment now, it's often cheaper and easier for a manufacturer to attain that using fuses without actually paying for testing, whereas to get it with breakers, they have to be tested, which costs extra.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All breakers today are HACR rated by default. This changed sometime back as part of the listing standards.
yep.
11th edition of UL489, issued in 2009, accepted that any breaker UL listed under standard 489 also meets the requirements of the older HACR rating, effectively ending the concept of HACR ratings. So all breakers made (and listed) after 2009 no longer say "HACR", but they all meet it. Some mfrs continue to say it just because there are specs out there demanding it and it's easier to just print it than it is to fight the inertia.

Adamjamma

Might be worth a letter to the manufacturer... sometimes they forget to change plates but change it on installation paperwork... if your authority accepts the installation paperwork stating equipment tested for both??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it doesn't say HACR you should install fuses.

Welcome to the forum.

I think Infinity was saying that the nameplate does not state fuses only as what one usually expects. Perhaps in Canada it is different. I suspect they meant fuses only but the nameplate is not as clear as it should be.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

I think Infinity was saying that the nameplate does not state fuses only as what one usually expects. Perhaps in Canada it is different. I suspect they meant fuses only but the nameplate is not as clear as it should be.

Yes that's the issue, it's missing the word "only" which leads me to believe that they did not intend to required only fuses. FWIW I sent the company and email but never got a response. :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Normally, if it says "fuse" and not "OCP" or "fuse or breaker", it's taken to mean fuses only.

Status
Not open for further replies.