GFCI required within 6 feet of a sink in a different room? 210.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

I understand a GFCI will be required in wet areas, kitchen countertops, near sinks, etc.

What about if that sink is in a separate room, but still within 6 feet of the outlet? If so would I measure the cord distance (e.g. can a 6 foot hand blender reach the sink) or per NEC the wall distance (even if the two give different answers)?

While the question is general, the specific issue regards a habitability inspection in California USA. Such inspections are part of an eviction process. If the property has code violations, the eviction cannot proceed and the tenant may be due refunds.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I looked at the CA amendments. The national 2014 version did not explain what was meant by the 6 foot distance. That was added in the 2017 edition. It essentially says that if you plug a device that has a 6 foot cord into the receptacle, and if that device can reach the sink without having to penetrate a wall or pass through a doorway, then the receptacle needs GFCI. The CA amendments do not add this explanation. So the notion of "6 foot from a sink" would be left up to the AHJ to interpret.

Status
Not open for further replies.