Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

2002 NEC 210.52 (B) (3) Allows for the dinning rm outlets to be on the same circuit with the refrig.
Is there any restriction I'm not seeing that would not allow one of the din. rm outlets to be switched?
My customer requested this (First time for me!) because they want to be able to use the wall switch to control their lighted China Cabinet. Since this outlet will be for "lighting" I'm wondering if it is now a violation

:confused:

Any thoughts?

Dave

benaround

Re: Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

ddc,

I'm thinking they could plug lights into anything they want,only differnce is this one will have a wall switch?

frank

shortcircuit2

Every habitable room must have a switch controlled lighting outlet. 210.70(A)(1)

If you switch the dining room SA receptacle outlet with no other required switched controlled lighting outlet, this would be in violation of 210.70(A)(1) and 210.52(B)(2)

shortcircuit2

davedottcom

210.70(A)(1)
The Din. Rm has a seperate 3-way system for the chandelier. (Seperate 15 amp lting. circuit)

Cool...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

Thanks,

Dave

charlie

210.70(A)(1) Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

Ya don't gotta have any uther lite switch afta ya switch thu receptacle cince this ain't ah kitchin or bathroom. I have to quit doing that or I will break the spell checker. :D

shortcircuit2

Charlie, dwelling receptacle outlets required by 210.52(B)(1)(2)(3) aren't allowed to be in lieu the lighting outlet required by 210.70(A)(1)

shortcircuit2

shortcircuit2

Well, the exception to 210.70(A)(1) allows the use of a switch controlled receptacle outlet in lieu of the requirement to have a switch controlled lighting outlet in other habitable rooms such as bedrooms, living rooms, family rooms, dens, studys, etc...

But, kitchens and bathrooms must have a switch controlled lighting outlet...210.70(A)(1)

shortcircuit2

[ March 25, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: shortcircuit2 ]

shortcircuit2

charlie...my understanding of davedottcoms 1st post was that he was considering switching one of the small appliance receptacle outlets to serve as the required switch controlled lighting outlet.

The NEC does not allow a switch controlled small appliance receptacle outlet as the required lighting outlet as specified by 210.70(A)(1)

But, you can place a switch controlled receptacle outlet adjacent to the SA receptical outlet to satisfy the requirements of 210.70(A)(1)

shortcircuit2

physis

The way I'm reading it 210.52(B)(1) Says the dining room receptacles have to be on an SA circuit.

210.52(B)(1) Ex. 1 says that you can add a switched receptacle for lighting on a general purpose circuit.

Nowhere in 210.52 does it say a required receptacle can't be switched.

Edit: It is true that you can't use the SA's for the required lighting outlet, 210.52(B)(2). But no reason you can't plug a light into a required receptacle.

[ March 25, 2005, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

southernboys

hey guys might be misunderstanding the post however in the 2005 nec handbook it states that (a recep is not permitted to be switched as a lighting outlet on a sa branch circuit) art 210.70a1

hurk27

210.52(B)(1) Exception No. 1: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted.
To me the statment " In addition to the required receptacles " means that they have to be an addition to the required receptacle not one of them?

physis

I don't know about the handbook (cause I don't have it) but, like I said, an SA circuit can't be used for a required lighting outlet but that doesn't mean that a required receptacle on an SA circuit can't be switched.

Putting a switch on a receptacle doesn't make that receptacle into one defined by 210.70(A)(1).

If you put a switch on a receptacle required by 210.52(B)(1) that receptacle still satisfies 210.52(B)(1). And you can even plug a light into it if you want.

physis

Oh man, :D not you too Wayne. :D

The 210.52(B)(1) receptacle isn't being used to satisfy 210.70(A)(1).

It's just getting a switch. ;)

electricmanscott

Wayne, you aren't reading the whole exception. It only says that switched receptacles fed from a general purpose branch circuits are allowed in addition to the sa circuits. It does not say switched receptacles must be fed from general purpose circuits.

physis

This will go to 4+ pages. :D
Not without a race car.
car-smiley-003.gif

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

If a duplex is installed, as we all usually do, then the top receptacle is installed per 210.52. The other half can be the required lighting-outlet-replacing-receptacle permitted by the exception to 210.70(A)(1), right? :)

Edit: Typo. Which serves a humorous purpose. :)

[ March 26, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.