Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMT outdoors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    EMT outdoors

    I know EMT can be run outdoors with approved fittings but I thought I remember reading somewhere that it must closely follow the building structure. Like it cannot be used, for example to feed a detached structure or outbuilding, or be used to feed a light pole, etc. any thoughts on this? I can’t seem to find it in the Code.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

    #2
    I believe it is a listing requirement and EMT is not listed for direct burial. I'm assuming you are going underground to get to said detached building.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by tank728 View Post
      I believe it is a listing requirement and EMT is not listed for direct burial. I'm assuming you are going underground to get to said detached building.
      358.10 allows EMT to be buried.
      Ron

      Comment


        #4
        Maybe you are thinking of "where subject to severe physical damage"?

        So I guess you couldn't really do an exposed run between two buildings where it doesn't have the protection of being buried?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by rcarroll View Post
          358.10 allows EMT to be buried.
          You need to read on to 358.10(B)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DrSparks View Post
            I know EMT can be run outdoors with approved fittings but I thought I remember reading somewhere that it must closely follow the building structure. Like it cannot be used, for example to feed a detached structure or outbuilding, or be used to feed a light pole, etc. any thoughts on this? I can’t seem to find it in the Code.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Look at SPS 316.358.

            [COLOR=#000000]SPS 316.358[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] Uses permitted.[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] This is a department rule in addition to the requirements of 2011 and 2017 NEC 358.12: Electrical metallic tubing may not be used in direct contact with earth, in concrete slabs or floors poured on earth, or in exterior concrete walls below grade.[/COLOR]

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mortimer View Post
              You need to read on to 358.10(B)
              And?
              It still allows EMT to be buried.
              Ron

              Comment


                #8
                No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.

                I don’t know if it would be considered subject to severe physical damage. I’m thinking I would’ve run rigid.

                Also 358.10(B) says it can be buried if it’s approved as suitable for the condition. I’m inferring this means it has some outer protective covering and is specifically listed for direct burial. I don’t think you could use plain old galvanized EMT. They also make aluminum and stainless steel EMT.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by DrSparks View Post
                  No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.

                  I don’t know if it would be considered subject to severe physical damage. I’m thinking I would’ve run rigid.

                  Also 358.10(B) says it can be buried if it’s approved as suitable for the condition. I’m inferring this means it has some outer protective covering and is specifically listed for direct burial. I don’t think you could use plain old galvanized EMT. They also make aluminum and stainless steel EMT.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That was my point.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by DrSparks View Post
                    No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.

                    I don’t know if it would be considered subject to severe physical damage. I’m thinking I would’ve run rigid.

                    Also 358.10(B) says it can be buried if it’s approved as suitable for the condition. I’m inferring this means it has some outer protective covering and is specifically listed for direct burial. I don’t think you could use plain old galvanized EMT. They also make aluminum and stainless steel EMT.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Look at post #6

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by DrSparks View Post
                      No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.
                      Article 100 Definitions defines Location, Wet as "unprotected locations exposed to weather."

                      Rule 300.9 defines the interior of raceways installed above grade in wet locations as wet locations. That says the EMT is a fish aquarium, in your words, regardless of the fittings used.

                      For that matter, the interior of threaded rigid metal conduit is also "wet" when installed in a wet location. Nothing to be done about it.
                      Another Al in Minnesota

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Agreed. Conductors inside a conduit are located where the conduit is. A conduit does not create a new environment.
                        Master Electrician
                        Electrical Contractor
                        Richmond, VA

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X