AHU & amp; condenser on same breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
GC friend of mine recently completed some apartment rehabs, and their EC had bailed to another job and wouldn’t come back for the punch list. I sent some guys to take care of it. One of the issues was a lighting circuit not working.

My guy sent me this pic .....blue circle is the lighting circuit that didn’t work, red circle was the AHU & condensing unit circuits.

d25f66dc99b121569fc23a068ca563b6.jpg

I suggested they forward the pic on to the EC so he’d know what kind of help he has on the loose. I was told the circuit was originally on a GFI breaker that kept tripping, and the EC did at some point swap the breaker out but still couldn’t get it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That breaker for the lighting circuit looks like it has rust on the terminal. Was this a new installed panel?
I see the (?) electrician landed the neutral on the breaker terminal but what is the black wire right behind it? Was that the circuit wire?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

I see the (?) electrician landed the neutral on the breaker terminal but what is the black wire right behind it? Was that the circuit wire?

YES!!

Not new, rehab job. They come in and paint, new floors, new fixtures, all new devices, new HVAC etc...

We had to replace the whips on at the HVAC units also. They set them a few inches further away from the disconnect for whatever reason and pulled the existing whips out of the connectors leaving about 3” of wire exposed.

kwired

Electron manager
That breaker for the lighting circuit looks like it has rust on the terminal. Was this a new installed panel?
Little hard to tell but to me it doesn't look like either that black or white actually lands in the breaker terminal. Temporarily disconnected or new circuit not yet terminated maybe?

The AHU and AC unit on same breaker - maybe they didn't have both breakers along for whatever reason and did what they did to get by, even if intending to bring another breaker back at some point?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
GC friend of mine recently completed some apartment rehabs, and their EC had bailed to another job and wouldn’t come back for the punch list. I sent some guys to take care of it. One of the issues was a lighting circuit not working.

My guy sent me this pic .....blue circle is the lighting circuit that didn’t work, red circle was the AHU & condensing unit circuits.

d25f66dc99b121569fc23a068ca563b6.jpg

I suggested they forward the pic on to the EC so he’d know what kind of help he has on the loose. I was told the circuit was originally on a GFI breaker that kept tripping, and the EC did at some point swap the breaker out but still couldn’t get it to work.

You can tell the way the wires are labeled that they labeled the Odd side of the Panel 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 which means they labeled the Even side of the panel 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 and 18.

The 2p breaker in space 10&12 of the panel (which they actually have labeled 14&15 in the picture) is missing.

Why they moved circuit 10 & 12 (which they actually have labeled 14&15) up to the 2p 50, I don't know.

The evidence indicates circuit 11 in the panel (which they have labeled as #5) may have possibly been a 1p GFI at one time.

Otherwise,

The neutral conductor would have been no where near the load side of breaker #11 seeing as how it seems they did take the time to put all of the EGC's on a bar on the left hand side of the panel, and, used the bar on the right hand side of the panel for the Neutrals.

Why they would of had circuit #11 (if it was a lighting circuit) on a GFI breaker to begin with is beyond me.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.