New Code suggestion on built-in microwaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamjamma

Yep... according to the code... but in Jamaica I am required a single circuit either way... 20 amp.. same with fridge same with freezer..lol...
but... am allowed to put gfci outlet and switch for them above counter and then run to the appliance where hidden from the switch... as long as it is a double pole twenty amp switch, and is marked visibly with the appliance name, and the gfci outlet is immediately beside it... not required a blank face and the gfci outlet is considered a protection provision for the appliance outlet put in an accessible place for safety reasons..just got the clarification from the Jamaican electric board over it..lol... thus it is considered not part of the required sabc because it is supplying the appliance, and as it is so hard to get afci or gfci blank face outlets or breakers in Jamaica, it is allowed to serve for the items...

of course this is bot up to NEC standards and is not a requirement but is a now allowed practice for additional safety..

JFletcher

Exception 1 specifically refers you to the other code concerning lights that says in kitchens you cannot use a switched receptacle for lights. Thus, exception one is allowing you to put the kitchen lights on the sabc. Just not allowed to use plug in lights... or the exception one would not send you to switches for lighting circuits.

I believe you are misreading 210.52 (B)(1) exception No.1. It states:

"In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(a)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted."

General purpose branch circuit is not a small appliance branch circuit.

Basically, if you have all required receptacles in a kitchen, and wish to add a switched receptacle, you can do so from a general-purpose branch circuit.

The exception does not allow lights on the SABC, it allows for a switched receptacle to be in the kitchen and not be on one of the small appliance branch circuits.

Reference is from 2008 NEC, and I admit that at the rate the CMP changes their mind about kitchens, my code reference may very well be out of date. While I enjoy a good code debate, this is just one of the innumerable reasons I detest kitchen remodels.

jumper

I believe you are misreading 210.52 (B)(1) exception No.1. It states:

"In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, switched receptacles supplied from a general-purpose branch circuit as defined in 210.70(a)(1), Exception No. 1, shall be permitted."

General purpose branch circuit is not a small appliance branch circuit.

Basically, if you have all required receptacles in a kitchen, and wish to add a switched receptacle, you can do so from a general-purpose branch circuit.

The exception does not allow lights on the SABC, it allows for a switched receptacle to be in the kitchen and not be on one of the small appliance branch circuits.

Reference is from 2008 NEC, and I admit that at the rate the CMP changes their mind about kitchens, my code reference may very well be out of date. While I enjoy a good code debate, this is just one of the innumerable reasons I detest kitchen remodels.

I see it the same way.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's see if I got this straight. Free standing microwave on counter plugged into SABC - just fine. Built in microwave tapped off of SABC - no good. :?
Correctamundo, but given the choice between that or using the lighting circuit, I'll opt for the SABC every time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So code required 2 SABC can be connected more than 1 duplex on one circuit? I taught they are dedicated to counter top 2 circuits 2 duplex

You need a minimum of two SABC's there is no limit as to how many receptacles are on either circuit.

jumper

Under the 2017, individual 15A circuits for a dedicated appliance can be installed in areas covered by the SABC rules. Does not have to be just refrigeration equipment anymore.

210.52( B)(1)

Old exception:

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an indi- vidual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

New exception:

Exception No. 2: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, a receptacle outlet to serve a specific appliance shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

peter d

Under the 2017, individual 15A circuits for a dedicated appliance can be installed in areas covered by the SABC rules. Does not have to be just refrigeration equipment anymore.

210.52( B)(1)

Old exception:

Exception No. 2: The receptacle outlet for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an indi- vidual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

New exception:

Exception No. 2: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, a receptacle outlet to serve a specific appliance shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

kwired

Electron manager

210.52( B)(1)

Old exception:

New exception:

I wasn't aware of this change either.

I still question that a free standing microwave on a counter top would count as a an appliance in a dedicated location. If you build cabinets to make the microwave be in a dedicated location then I think you could run the 15 amp circuit to it - and possibly can even say that microwave receptacle can't be on any SABC for that installation.

If it is just sitting on open counter, maybe the next occupant thinks the microwave should go in a different location - can't necessarily say it is dedicated IMO.

peter d

I wasn't aware of this change either.

I still question that a free standing microwave on a counter top would count as a an appliance in a dedicated location. If you build cabinets to make the microwave be in a dedicated location then I think you could run the 15 amp circuit to it - and possibly can even say that microwave receptacle can't be on any SABC for that installation.

If it is just sitting on open counter, maybe the next occupant thinks the microwave should go in a different location - can't necessarily say it is dedicated IMO.

I agree. All receptacles on the counter need to be 20 amp, no exception.

jumper

I agree. All receptacles on the counter need to be 20 amp, no exception.

And on a SABC. If you still want that counter top microwave on an individual circuit that is fine - it becomes one additional SABC.

What part of the wording was unclear?

All GP wall recs in the kitchen had to be on a SABC, unless it was for refrigeration which could be a 15A circuit now the exception allows more than just that equipment.

Rec in cabinets are not covered by 210.52 SABC rules, never were.

Status
Not open for further replies.