NEC 680.22 (B)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

NEC 680.22 (B)(3).
What is meant by existing locations in this code article? If I have a light fixture in the location specified by NEC 680.22 (B)(3) and add a self contained hot tub, can the light stay if protected by GRCI? Is that what is meant by existing location? Or if I add the hot tub does that make it a new installation? If adding a hot tub does make it a new installation, what is an existing installation?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It is stating that if there is an existing light, or other lighting outlet, and it is within 5' horizontally, the light can't be below 5' high and must be GFCI protected.

wyboy

No one has accused me of being super bright so forgive my confusion. I still don’t understand existing. You say, “if there is an existing light outlet, and it is within 5' horizontally, the light can't be below 5' high and must be GFCI protected.” I agree. So if the light is already there and there is no hot tub it is existing. A hot tub is added at a later date, all that is needed to meet compliance is to GFCI the light circuit? Correct?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
No one has accused me of being super bright so forgive my confusion. I still don’t understand existing. You say, “if there is an existing light outlet, and it is within 5' horizontally, the light can't be below 5' high and must be GFCI protected.” I agree. So if the light is already there and there is no hot tub it is existing. A hot tub is added at a later date, all that is needed to meet compliance is to GFCI the light circuit? Correct?

Yes, and that it can't be lower than 5' above the water level.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
You have to make the existing comply when you add the pool/hot tub.

If it is less than the 5 feet, you have to move it and provide GFCI protection.

If it is more than the 5 feet, you have to ensure there is GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.