500 HP motor conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

housemoney

Occupation
Engr
One of my clients ordered their own motors from a new distributor, showed up with a single 4" conduit entry into the pecker head, 533A/460V (nameplate). 533A X 1.25%= 666.23A. We planned for parallel 500s.

Personally I've only had to swap out peckerheads a couple times on motors over 300HP to accommodate parallel conductors, IME most in this size range come standard with dual conduit entries.

I called their new distributor and told them the situation of single conductor size and how's it even feasible. Also asked why they were sent with single entry, answer was "TECO sends them all this way, but for $1500 an entry plate you can convert them in the field."

Not a huge deal considering the cost of these motors, but it doesn't sit right with me, how in the world could they ship these motors with only a single conduit entry? Thanks for hearing my rant, thoughts?

housemoney

Occupation
Engr
Yes, in conduit. Forgot to mention an important point: we're running MC-HL cables. Regardless in my experience most all motors this size typically come with (2) conduit entries. But then again I don't remember the last time I've dealt with a high horsepower TECO.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, in conduit. Forgot to mention an important point: we're running MC-HL cables. Regardless in my experience most all motors this size typically come with (2) conduit entries. But then again I don't remember the last time I've dealt with a high horsepower TECO.

While not very elegant, you could put a J-box next to the motor and go the rest of the way with all 6 (plus EGC) conductors in a single 4".

Status
Not open for further replies.