Transformer Sizing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee2

Are there any articles in the code which prescribe minimum transformer sizing?

Background - I was evaluating existing transformer for addition of new loads. In calculating transformer loads, I carried 125% of continuous loads. However, thinking further, I don't believe there is any requirement anywhere to size transformers for 125% of continuous, only conductors.

Does the NEC care how big a customer owned transformer is, provided it is properly protected?

cppoly

No they do not. This is one of the last places the code holds true to it's stated purpose of not being a design manual.

I always find myself coming back to this point a lot with the NEC. But I have to pushback a little on this, if a transformer is at risk of overheating because of not accounting for 125% of continuous loads, then wouldn't this be a safety issue? Or, it could be just entirely possible that transformers are simply fully rated for continuous current. Have you ever come across any transformers requiring 125% continuous load or has the standard always been 100% continuous plus 100% non-continuous loads?

I always find myself coming back to this point a lot with the NEC. But I have to pushback a little on this, if a transformer is at risk of overheating because of not accounting for 125% of continuous loads, then wouldn't this be a safety issue? Or, it could be just entirely possible that transformers are simply fully rated for continuous current. Have you ever come across any transformers requiring 125% continuous load or has the standard always been 100% continuous plus 100% non-continuous loads?

The continuous load derating ia something many people start applying to everything. I am not sure of the history and reasoning for it, but in the NEC it applies only to conductors and OCPD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.