Chase Nipple

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

I have metal box with 3/4 chase nipple between box and 3/4 lb. Does it require a lock nut also.....section please

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As long as it makes up tight I don't think it is an issue. Nec uses the term conduit fitting not chase nipple. The white book appears to allow it as long as it is made up tight.

JFletcher

A box with a threaded hub with a chase nipple going into a threaded lb does not require lock nuts. Since the NEC is permissive, there would have to be a code section requiring lock nuts with threaded connections, and there isn't.

A chase nipple between panels or non threaded boxes requires lock nuts, although I do not have a code section at the ready for it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A box with a threaded hub with a chase nipple going into a threaded lb does not require lock nuts. Since the NEC is permissive, there would have to be a code section requiring lock nuts with threaded connections, and there isn't.

A chase nipple between panels or non threaded boxes requires lock nuts, although I do not have a code section at the ready for it.

I agree but I am pretty sure he will have threads on the 3/4" LB. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chase nipple have straight threads and are not permitted in threaded LB's. Yes I know done every day. The correct installation is a close nipple with two locknuts.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired

How do you use a chase with a box hub and lb? Byclose yes, threads on both ends, chase has built in locknutish

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that the OP mentioned a hub. I'm thinking that he has a 3/4" KO in a box with a chase nipple going into the treads on an LB conduit body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.