double switch one yoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Sirs,

I have a doubt about the lighting switches, in Costa Rica, is pretty common to use double and triple switches in the same yoke, something like this:

interruptor-triple-linea-clasic-blanco.jpg
or this:
08212.jpg

But, recently and engineer told me that this is not permitted in the code, so, i have been looking the secton in the code, that says that, but i have not able to find it.

Could any one please give some light about this doubt.

Thanks,

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this is the NEC then the engineer is not correct however it could be a local code or something to do with conductor overfill in the box.

JFletcher

The only time I use those triple switches is on a multi-function bathroom fan. Nothing wrong with using them, although you will need a deep box to accommodate all the wiring.

In my experiences, most times when I see a double switch installed, it's because the Box location did not allow for another gang, or somebody added a switch to the box and had to double up switches on one yoke.

it is always a good practice when someone says you can't do that to get a code section, and to give one when you say the same thing.

480sparky

I do all I can to not use them as they're typically a huge PITA to install. 1-gang box, 12-gauge wires.... ugh. If I have enough notice, I'll install a 3-gang box instead and make trim über-simple.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello,

So, according to your appreciation, there is no problem to install this kind of switches in one yoke and one gang?

Regards,

Correct-- not an issue but with a lot of conductors they can be a pain especially if you use 12 awg. If you have a jb in the ceiling and drop down to it then it is not an issue. I assume this is a commercial job since an engineer is involved.

Correct-- not an issue but with a lot of conductors they can be a pain especially if you use 12 awg. If you have a jb in the ceiling and drop down to it then it is not an issue. I assume this is a commercial job since an engineer is involved.

Well, this is the interesting thing, in Costa Rica, does not matter if the proyect is residential or commertial, the most commun is to use this kind of swiches. 1 rectangular box, 1 gang,1,2 or 3 switches.

For example, this picture is from my office:

APAGADOR.JPG

I do not know how it is in the US UU. UU., But in CR, the engineer is involved in both, residential and commercial projects.

Regards,

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
i would ask what code the engineer is citing. perhaps he is thinking of having 2 poles on one yoke? which is fine if you have both legs on a common trip 2 pole.. but if it is in fact a single feed to (3) switch legs- its good... i am not sure they make a switch the way i am describing...

code aside, i would assume he really, really, doesnt want that device...

JFletcher

That is an odd set up to me as a standard installation, if for nothing but the fact that two standard snap switches in a two gang box is a much cheaper way to do things...

Adamjamma

if there is a code against it would love to know the code as have been using similar switches for years... but always use the deepest boxes I can get for wire fill reasons... it gets very complicated when you are using the three way or four way versions of those switches and have six of them ganged up in a group... 18 switches in one location...

480sparky

The only code violation I can think of is box fill. Try to stuff that critter in with three 12/2s or two 12/2s and a 12/3 in a 16 in² box.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Keep in mind that the OP is in Costa Rica.

Multiple switches on a single yoke is not against the NEC. The NEC is the most common code adopted in the US.

According to the OP they are under the NEC, but there may be local amendments or other issues (eg building code requirements) in play.

-Jon

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Actually, the code I thought of was 404.8(B). Since the OP didn't indicate voltage, this code could be violated. Either with two phases of a 480 volt system, or a 277 volt switch with a 120 volt switch.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
If I use those I like to go to the deepest single-gang box that makes sense. Those switches are so bulky + the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.