Conduit Above Wood Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
I have been told by a general contractor that the conduit feeding some lights under a wood canopy need to be run exposed because you cannot have conduit above a wood ceiling. I cannot for the life of me find a code that dictates this. He had an inspector identify this on a past project, but cannot recall the code either. Does anybody here know where this code is, heard of it? I have checked the NEC and either missed it or it is not there. Maybe an IBC issue? Any pointers as to where this code is would be great. Thanks!

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have run tons of conduit (literally) in places that would be inaccessible when finished, wood included. Never been cited for a code violation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have been told by a general contractor that the conduit feeding some lights under a wood canopy need to be run exposed because you cannot have conduit above a wood ceiling. I cannot for the life of me find a code that dictates this. He had an inspector identify this on a past project, but cannot recall the code either. Does anybody here know where this code is, heard of it? I have checked the NEC and either missed it or it is not there. Maybe an IBC issue? Any pointers as to where this code is would be great. Thanks!
Why not ask the GC where he got the idea? IOW's, tell him to show you a code article and section.

Roger

tw1156

When you mentioned canopy, the only section I could think of was 300.4(D) - 300.4(F) and perhaps you're thinking of protection of conductors from nails? Like others have said, I'm not aware of conduit not being permitted though as you've described it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why are you allowing a contractor dictate the electrical code to you? He is wrong -- I assume this is a commercial job...

Status
Not open for further replies.