Stacking Electric Baseboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

Hey guys. Is it a code violation to have electric baseboard heaters on top of each other?? Not sure what these guys were trying to accomplish but they put 48” heaters directly on top of 96” heaters in 2 bed rooms.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Welcome to the Forum.

2011 NEC 424.9 basically says you have to install the baseboard heaters in an approved manner. You know, follow the instructions included with the heater.

For fun, I just read a copy of a Cadet baseboard heater installation sheet. One thing they say for their baseboard is, if we don't show it hooked up like you are doing, you shouldn't do it. And another thing they say is they specify a clearance of 12 inches above the heater to anything else.

I recommend you look up the instructions for the units you are asking about.

JFletcher

Hey guys. Is it a code violation to have electric baseboard heaters on top of each other?? Not sure what these guys were trying to accomplish but they put 48” heaters directly on top of 96” heaters in 2 bed rooms.

If a had to take a wag, I'd think they did it that way because they could not get wire to another wall, and jumped off of the existing circuit(s), probably overloading them.

I third the look in the manual sentiment. If it looks wrong, chances are it is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.