linear accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have Varian Halcyon 2.0 which treats patients using a 6MV photon bream and utilizes conventional x-rays for patient setup and field verification to treat cancer patient. It incorporates CT and imaging technology along with radiotherapy. I was wondering something like this would this be treated as x-ray machine and rules of NEC 2014 Article 517 X-ray would follow?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have Varian Halcyon 2.0 which treats patients using a 6MV photon bream and utilizes conventional x-rays for patient setup and field verification to treat cancer patient. It incorporates CT and imaging technology along with radiotherapy. I was wondering something like this would this be treated as x-ray machine and rules of NEC 2014 Article 517 X-ray would follow?

IMHO any differences between a linear accelerator producing photons (gamma rays) and a conventional x-ray machine are quantitative rather than qualitative.
Some linac machines also produce an electron beam, which would be very different medically, but not clearly different electrically.
One difference, I think, is that an x-ray is a very intermittent load while a linac could run at full power for minutes at a time, with additional power for motors to move beam line and patient.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
IMHO any differences between a linear accelerator producing photons (gamma rays) and a conventional x-ray machine are quantitative rather than qualitative.
Some linac machines also produce an electron beam, which would be very different medically, but not clearly different electrically.
One difference, I think, is that an x-ray is a very intermittent load while a linac could run at full power for minutes at a time, with additional power for motors to move beam line and patient.
So the rules of nec 2014 Article 517 Xray apply to linac?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
All that I can say with any confidence is that it seems appropriate to apply Article 517. The actual interpretation by any AHJ is another question.
Looks like Its a type of xray theraputic equipment NOT xray diagnostic equipment. So I am guess NEC 2014 Article 517.72 still applies???? No?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.