Equipment rated as an “assembly “

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbarhd

When does an enclosure with, say, 4 modules or relays and an enclosure heater become an assembly and need to be rated as such? What is the tipping point in code? Is there an NEC reference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbarhd

I am not exactly sure. Listing agency issue such as UL. It was brought up by an inspector as a requirement. Essentially saying it was not ok to put together an assembly of various UL parts and assume that it is safe. The sum of the listed safe parts may be unsafe when combined. This makes sense to me if it involves a hazardous potential such as batteries but not so much sense if it is just an enclosure with modules and relays. I am trying to get more informed on the subject. Thanks for the interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Take a look at Article 409, Industrial Control Panels and see if anything from there applies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Interesting question. I would look at UL 508A to see what the definition is of a control panel is. Art 409 may have a definition.
In Washington, we can build a control panel, but only from all UL Listed Parts. Control panels often used UR (component recognized) parts.
If a control panel is not 508A listed, the job starts and a third party inspection is required

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's in Article 100 definitions, under "Industrial Control Panel":

Industrial Control Panel. An assembly of two or more
components
consisting of one of the following: (1) power
circuit components only, such as motor controllers, overload
relays, fused disconnect switches, and circuit breakers;
(2) control circuit components only, such as push buttons,
pilot lights, selector switches, timers, switches, and control
relays~ (3) a combination of power and control circuit components.
These components, with associated wiring and terminals,
are mounted on, or contained within, an enclosure
or mounted on a subpanel.
The argument I've been pulled into is whether or not the enclosure itself counts as one of the "components", i.e. push button station with one button like an E-Stop. I've argued that it is not, I've lost that argument.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While not typically enforced, the OSHA rules require all electrical "assemblies" installed or used in a workplace to be listed assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.